Jack Flaherty 2023

AdamK

Rosenthal in The Athletic says that the Rays had a deal in place for Flaherty but it fell apart.

he-man-fabulous.gif

Flaherty: Almost a Ray

As the Orioles and Rays brace for their four-game showdown at Camden Yards starting Thursday, here’s an interesting twist: The Rays agreed with the Cardinals on a trade for right-hander Jack Flaherty in the final hours before the Aug. 1 deadline. But the deal collapsed in the medical-review stage, according to sources briefed on the discussions, and the Cardinals dealt Flaherty to the Orioles instead.

The medical issue presumably was not with Flaherty, a potential free agent who will turn 28 on Oct. 15. But since the trade, Flaherty has largely been a disappointment, producing a 7.16 ERA in his six starts.

The Rays envisioned Flaherty joining a rotation that at the time included Shane McClanahan, Tyler Glasnow, Zach Eflin and the recently acquired Aaron Civale. Two days after the deadline, McClanahan experienced forearm tightness. On Aug. 21, he underwent his second Tommy John surgery.

The Orioles acquired Flaherty for infielder César Prieto, 24, and pitchers Drew Rom, 23, and Zack Showalter, 19. Now the question is whether Flaherty will fit into the Orioles’ postseason rotation, if at all.

It’s possible Flaherty is experiencing fatigue — he has pitched 137 1/3 innings this season after working only 154 2/3 combined the previous three due to injuries and the shortened 2020 campaign. But Kyle Bradish and Grayson Rodriguez, if healthy, are the only locks for the postseason rotation. Dean Kremer is the probable choice for the third spot.

Would have been awesome if that deal went through and he was ****ting these bricks for them instead of us.  We'd probably be a few more games up.

Or he'd go there and be dominant.  No way to tell.

On 9/11/2023 at 6:38 PM, OnlyOneOriole said:

This goes back to what I was talking about yesterday with his demeanor.  He just seems like an unlikable guy and someone who has packed it in for the year.

Some of you the other guys here can poo poo it all they want to but having been on many sports teams throughout my life, guys with attitudes like JF don't last long and their teammates are fine with that.  He should be thankful he has a second chance.  Especially in a contract year. 

He seems to care less.

He had the same rep with the Cardinals.  He seemed more concerned about expressing his far left wing woke politics than pitching well. 

Seems like a total headcase.  Not an Oriole.

One, we don't talk politics here. I don't care about his politics and even if he wants to discuss them openly, we don't discuss them here.

Here's his interview after he was traded. Doesn't seem like a headcase. 

As you know, people come with all different kinds of personality and Flaherty certainly does not seem like a very outgoing guy. i have no idea how he's fitting in within the clubhouse but no whispers have come out against him.

At the end of the day, he needs to pitch better. He knows that, the Orioles know that, and we the fans know that. A good start Friday night against Tampa can go a long way towards making him seem like less of headcase to some of you I bet. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Rosenthal in The Athletic says that the Rays had a deal in place for Flaherty but it fell apart.

he-man-fabulous.gif

Would have been awesome if that deal went through and he was ****ting these bricks for them instead of us.  We'd probably be a few more games up.

Or he'd go there and be dominant.  No way to tell.

So the deal Flaherty'ied?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

One, we don't talk politics here. I don't care about his politics and even if he wants to discuss them openly, we don't discuss them here.

Here's his interview after he was traded. Doesn't seem like a headcase. 

As you know, people come with all different kinds of personality and Flaherty certainly does not seem like a very outgoing guy. i have no idea how he's fitting in within the clubhouse but no whispers have come out against him.

At the end of the day, he needs to pitch better. He knows that, the Orioles know that, and we the fans know that. A good start Friday night against Tampa can go a long way towards making him seem like less of headcase to some of you I bet. 

After his initial good start they had one of those interviews from the dugout during a game with him and he seemed like a real good dude.  I don't think he's a headcase at all.  I'm sure he's as frustrated as anyone by his performance...no one wants to be traded to a contender in August and promptly crap the bed upon arriving.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

After his initial good start they had one of those interviews from the dugout during a game with him and he seemed like a real good dude.  I don't think he's a headcase at all.  I'm sure he's as frustrated as anyone by his performance...no one wants to be traded to a contender in August and promptly crap the bed upon arriving.

He was laughing and joking in the dugout last night. He knows hes bad right now and he knows he can do better. It's got to suck coming to a winning team and not posting up when you have the ability to. Nothing about his actions have suggested he's a headcase or a cancer to the clubhouse.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

He was laughing and joking in the dugout last night. He knows hes bad right now and he knows he can do better. It's got to suck coming to a winning team and not posting up when you have the ability to. Nothing about his actions have suggested he's a headcase or a cancer to the clubhouse.

The team was losing a MUST WIN game and he was laughing about it?

That's the wrong kind of attitude mister!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

Yea..he’s just pissed that he’s not pitching well. He’s participating in all the sprinkler stuff and things like that. He’s not some checked out teammate. He’s just upset that he is sucking.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, what do you mean?  You like losing better?

Okay I'm going to defend CoC on this one (gag). The game threads are psychotic when the team is good, people just can't handle winning. The threads when the team was terrible were a lot more bearable.

15 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Okay I'm going to defend CoC on this one (gag). The game threads are psychotic when the team is good, people just can't handle winning. The threads when the team was terrible were a lot more bearable.

This is true. It's insufferable when we don't score every inning, "only" have a 5 run lead that we're inevitably going to blow every inning, are down 2 in the 3rd and the team is a lazy mess and packing it in and the game is over. It's always much better when the team is bad in the game thread.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

This is true. It's insufferable when we don't score every inning, "only" have a 5 run lead that we're inevitably going to blow every inning, are down 2 in the 3rd and the team is a lazy mess and packing it in and the game is over. It's always much better when the team is bad in the game thread.

The difference is you have posters that only post in the game threads when the team is good.

Edit- Also Moose knew exactly what I was talking about, he was just stirring the pot.

Edited by Can_of_corn

45 minutes ago, dystopia said:

He’s complaining about Johnny-come-latelys and posters that weren’t here for the losing years but all of a sudden have strong opinions now that the team is a winner.