The return of Kevin Brown

Roy Firestone

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I obviously have no idea what type of contract he's signed.

But I can easily see some of no compete clause being in there.

Is Brown in a situation in which he could try and litigate exactly what a suspension is?  If they paid him and just didn't make use of his services is that an unlawful suspension?

If I got a mortgage to pay do I want to deal with that?

In an ideal world, yea he tells John to stuff it and walks.

Non-competes are pretty much jerk-off clauses designed to intimidate people from leaving their job and working elsewhere.  Clearly, you fall into that category.  They're usually not upheld in court.  

There are non-disclosure agreements which are in place to prevent people from sharing private company information, but that's about it.

While I've made my opinions about his PBP duties known, he's a class act and in no way deserved what happened to him.  While his tweet tries to deflect some of the attention and he's putting on a good face for the public, I don't believe for a minute that he sticks around here into next season.

Someone will come through with an offer to blow him away.  This whole situation is probably the best thing that could have happened to his career.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Looks like KB was probably "instructed" to post something on Twitter / X. 

https://twitter.com/kevinnbrown/status/1690069162276847616?s=20

Brown's tweets were retweeted by MASN minutes after he posted them. This was CLEARLY something he was instructed to do by the PR department/Angelos. Note the amibquity in his posts too. He didn't actually say that he wasn't suspended. It's so sad and petty that Angelos wasn't man enough to step up and address the situation. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Clearly, you fall into that category.

Someone will come through with an offer to blow him away.  This whole situation is probably the best thing that could have happened to his career.

WTH was that shot for?  I'm just saying I think John is the type of guy that would make it as hard as possible for someone in Brown's situation to simply walk and get another job in the field,

I agree that it will be a net positive in the long term.

1 minute ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Brown's tweet indicates to me there is a helluva lot more to this than meets the eye.  Brown wants the conversation ended.  

I think it's more about Angelo's wanting the conversation ended. I would be shocked if those tweets weren't read and vetted by the team's PR department before he posted them. I'd also be willing to bet that he was "strongly encouraged" to post something to try and deflect the attention away from how poorly the situation was handled. 

I think Brown probably said the wrong thing to some yes-man of Angelos.  Something that the rest of us would think is pretty innocent but that some insecure man from a different generation thought was "disrespectful" from Brown.  So he decided to "put him in his place" with the suspension and made up the phony clip as an excuse (because I maintain there's no way anyone could take offense to that clip).

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

WTH was that shot for?  I'm just saying I think John is the type of guy that would make it as hard as possible for someone in Brown's situation to simply walk and get another job in the field,

I agree that it will be a net positive in the long term.

Calm down, I was giving you a hard time.

I'm telling you that I don't think there's anything that JA could do to make it hard for KB to peace out and go find new employment.  First, Maryland is an at-will state.  The employer or the employee can terminate with or without cause and with or without notice.  

Second, KB most likely doesn't have any specific trade secrets from the Orioles that he could go to, say, the Miami Marlins and damage the Orioles brand while broadcasting from Miami.  It's not as if he's a salesman who's threatening to take his book of business, relationships and deals from his current employer to a competitor.

There's nothing that John Angelos can do.  

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fairly confident that he'd have found a new gig.  People like him.

But John Angelos owns him - at least for the duration of his contract.  Brown could've found himself parked and invisible until the contract expired.  John Angelos strikes me a capable of doing something like that.

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

But John Angelos owns him - at least for the duration of his contract.  Brown could've found himself parked and invisible until the contract expired.  John Angelos strikes me a capable of doing something like that.

No...no, no, no.

Guys, read up on what an at-will state is.  Not just for this KB situation but for your own benefit, too.  It's stuff like this that keeps good people at bad companies with bad management because they're too afraid to make a move.  

John Angelos can't do dick here.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No...no, no, no.

Guys, read up on what an at-will state is.  Not just for this KB situation but for your own benefit, too.  It's stuff like this that keeps good people at bad companies with bad management because they're too afraid to make a move.  

John Angelos can't do dick here.  

It looks to me after a 20 second Google search that if Brown signed a Non-compete agreement that it would be enforceable, at least until the end of the season.

Can you explain to me why that is incorrect?  (and yes we don't know if such an agreement was included in his contact).