The return of Kevin Brown

Roy Firestone

5 minutes ago, Winter said:

exactly. 

Have to think the tweets were written or at the very least approved by the Orioles' Public Relations department before KB posted it. I hope the team is sold this off-season so there's the chance KB's relationship with the team can be repaired.

KB is going to bolt when his contract is up to escape MLB's North Korea.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Have to think the tweets were written or at the very least approved by the Orioles' Public Relations department before KB posted it. I hope the team is sold this off-season so there's the chance KB's relationship with the team can be repaired.

KB is going to bolt when his contract is up to escape MLB's North Korea.

I think he is gone regardless

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It looks to me after a 20 second Google search that if Brown signed a Non-compete agreement that it would be enforceable, at least until the end of the season.

Can you explain to me why that is incorrect?  (and yes we don't know if such an agreement was included in his contact). 

I think you just explained it yourself there.  

Anywho, my 20 second Google search found this:

For a non-compete agreement to be enforceable, it must be necessary to protect the employer's legitimate business interests and cannot impose undue hardship on the employee.

It's a non-COMPETE.  It prevents employees from competing with their employers for a specific period of time after employment has ended.  If the Colorado Rockies wanted to hire Brown tomorrow, is that really competing with the Orioles?  I don't think so.  

Even then, Maryland courts can throw out the entire agreement altogether if it has unreasonable or oppressive impact on the employee.  That means that JA can't NOT allow Brown to find work.  

This is where the lawyering would come in, ain't that right @Frobby?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's a non-COMPETE.  It prevents employees from competing with their employers for a specific period of time after employment has ended.  If the Colorado Rockies wanted to hire Brown tomorrow, is that really competing with the Orioles?  I don't think so.  

Even then, Maryland courts can throw out the entire agreement altogether if it has unreasonable or oppressive impact on the employee.  That means that JA can't NOT allow Brown to find work.  

I'd say that the Rockies are directly competing against the Orioles.  There are 30 MLB teams, they are all directly competing with each other.  I'd also say that it's murky enough that Angelos could tie it up for the rest of the season.

I think that if they tried to extend the agreement past this season that they'd lose.  I don't see how a couple of months would count as unreasonable or oppressive.  Brown could be free to find work with anyone that isn't one of the other 29 teams.  Thorne has done Hockey for instance. 

You might be right, but I think the Angelos family could, and would, tie things up in court in a way Brown might not be able to easily deal with.

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If his contract ends this year what could JA do if he quit? I guess unless he sued Brown would forfeit his right to his wages thru the 23 season. 

It’s not like two different groups both announce Orioles games.  

I would bet that Brown is on a one year deal.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

And which party to this contract owns the law firm?  I would also check the court docket to see how long it would take the suit to come to a hearing much less a trial.  You are probably right that Brown could terminate his employment at will, but the real issue is future employment and when.  There is also the question of how desirable a litigious announcer would be to a prospective employer.

54 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Kevin Brown is the kind of guy to tweet something like that to put the attention back on the team on the field and not on him.

Super classy. Kevin took the high road.

What I love is that he gets out of this with a huge win. He's going to be able to pick from a ton of offers, he got a ton of great PR and love from around the game, Angelos got dumped on mercilessly, and all he has to do is say "hey O's fans, we're all good, play ball". 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say that the Rockies are directly competing against the Orioles.  There are 30 MLB teams, they are all directly competing with each other.  I'd also say that it's murky enough that Angelos could tie it up for the rest of the season.

I think that if they tried to extend the agreement past this season that they'd lose.  I don't see how a couple of months would count as unreasonable or oppressive.  Brown could be free to find work with anyone that isn't one of the other 29 teams.  Thorne has done Hockey for instance. 

You might be right, but I think the Angelos family could, and would, tie things up in court in a way Brown might not be able to easily deal with.

Thing is another team is not going to hire him for the last 45 games of the season. They already have people under contract. This isn’t some local newscaster who leaves one city station for another.