Correction. That was the game of the year

cheecks

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

If this team wins the World Series in 5 games, people here will blame Hyde that it wasn't done in 4.

Seemed to pull all the right strings today.

Well, sure.  He's obviously done an amazing job.  One would imagine he'll win MOTY.

But he's been managing the same all year as he did today.

I'm just wondering what specifically today was so commendable?

For the record, I didn't like him removing Vespi.

1 hour ago, Tbone83 said:

More 2012 (but better) vibes for me. In both cases it is/was clear a good team's a brewing but they are bringing the noise earlier than expected.

The resiliency of this group is what is impressing me. They have had a few bad losses here and there (first Houston game most recently) that would have sent past Oriole teams reeling into long losing streaks. But they shake it off like it's nothing. Or even in-game. Past teams wouldn't have recovered from the tying HR after the Mullins catch, but they found a way. Just a great season so far. 

Hell, Fuji even pitched well. :)

Who had the O's winning a 10 inning game w Vespi getting the win and Fuji the save?

One if the beautiful aspects of baseball is how it mirrors life.  We all have plans, goals, think of a better future but mindfulness reminds us we can only experience this moment.

Mindfulness is hard for goal and future oriented societies to embrace but baseball brings it to the foreground.  Every pitch, every catch, every hit in each game is a moment unique to itself. 

Planning for the future is good for our problem solving brain but we live for moments like tonight where these talented young men play the game in its full beauty. 

Stop and smell the roses is a mindfulness thing.. savoring each moment of this season is too. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, sure.  He's obviously done an amazing job.  One would imagine he'll win MOTY.

But he's been managing the same all year as he did today.

I'm just wondering what specifically today was so commendable?

For the record, I didn't like him removing Vespi.

For me, it was pinch running Mateo for Westburg.   When he made the move, I was just thinking why, when Westburg has the second fastest sprint speed on the team.  Plus, I am at the point where I would rather have Henderson at SS.  And wouldn’t you know, Mateo is safe at home by probably a 10th of a second.  He’s the only guy on the team scoring on that play.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Pickles said:

For what specifically?

People rush to the “second guess” Hyde thread for every minor decision that they completely want to overblow.

In a tough series where small decisions end up mattering, Hyde pressed the right buttons. I wouldn’t have gone to Fuji yesterday. I wouldn’t have taken our Westburg but both moves worked out.

Now, the Mateo play was one of the only few plays where the extra speed mattered but the bottom line is, if he doesn’t do that, you don’t win. It doesn’t matter it was lucky, it just matters that it happened.

In a day and age where everyone wants to always point out anything negative about the manager, I think some rushing to give some kudos would be good to see as well.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

People rush to the “second guess” Hyde thread for every minor decision that they completely want to overblow.

In a tough series where small decisions end up mattering, Hyde pressed the right buttons. I wouldn’t have gone to Fuji yesterday. I wouldn’t have taken our Westburg but both moves worked out.

Now, the Mateo play was one of the only few plays where the extra speed mattered but the bottom line is, if he doesn’t do that, you don’t win. It doesn’t matter it was lucky, it just matters that it happened.

In a day and age where everyone wants to always point out anything negative about the manager, I think some rushing to give some kudos would be good to see as well.

Using Cano where he did worked out as well. Brach and KB were wondering if that was a planned move for the top of the lineup.