John Angelos continues to remind us how awful he is

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Do these figures include MASN?  The Angelos family has always treated MASN as separate from the Os, even though it's only reason for existence is to air O's games (and Nats games per original agreement).  With their rock bottom production, very little is spent on the actual product.  I've seen estimates of $50 million profit or more just for MASN, very little of which seems to reach the actual Oriole franchise. 

It does not include MASN’s profits; it does include the payments by MASN for the rights to broadcast the games.  The profits of MASN aren’t very much following the arbitration decision setting the rights fees payable to the Nats and O’s.  For the 2012-16 period, it was $13.2 mm a year for the Orioles.  (See analysis here.)

12 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Don't worry I'm sure John Angelos will fulfill his promise to open up the team's books to prove he is cash strapped. Hope JA doesn't get mad at me for asking this question on National Eat A Peach Day.

It’s a little late in August for National Eat a Peach Day. The best ones are in July. Is this day created to get rid of the potential excess peaches?

50 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Was it? I was blacked out in Nagshead, NC. this seems to indicate MLB still sees that as the Orioles market.

Well, the money is divided up. And many fans who supported the Orioles and contributed to the gates now go to DC.

53 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Was it? I was blacked out in Nagshead, NC. this seems to indicate MLB still sees that as the Orioles market.

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Parts of North Carolina are in the MASN market but MASN is not on many cable providers in NC. Makes no sense Recent developments. 

HOME› SPECTRUM ARCHIVES: 2020 - PRESENT

You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled
If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Why has Spectrum removed MASN & MASN2 from the line up

Cat_in_the_Hat Posts: 1 Newcomer

April 3 edited May 30

We were led to believe these channels disappeared because they are now only available via streaming, but MASN indicates that isn't correct but that Spectrum simply failed to negotiate a new agreement. Those of us who enjoy watching the Baltimore Orioles and the Washington Nationals would like the channels restored to the line up...not to mention there was no corresponding reduction in our monthly rates as a result of the reduced product being removed. What needs to be done to restore these channels to our line-up?

Tagged: 

Channels and Programming

MASN

MASN2

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sign In

Register

Best Answer

James_M Posts: 4,144 ADMIN

April 3 Answer ✓

Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN)'s carriage agreement for Spectrum has not been renewed, and the programming has been removed effective 4/1/23. We value our customers and work every day to provide the best service at the most reasonable prices.

Unfortunately, there are currently no other viewing options for these games on our channel lineup and would also not be available in MLB Extra Innings for your area. From time to time, MLB partners such as TBS, ESPN, Apple TV+ and FOX will carry select MLB games. 

We appreciate your feedback and will forward it to our leadership

12 hours ago, deward said:

None of those guys are franchise altering players like Adley/Gunnar/Holliday. Elias is not going to be getting guys on that level back in trades very often, if ever. For that matter, only two of those guys you listed have proven to have any value so far. The future past this current group is far from assured. 

Bradish is tied for the best ERA by a starter in the AL with Garrett Cole.   I would say that is pretty franchise altering.  He is on track to make 30 starts.   Cano is an All Star.   That the others are too young to have shown what they can do in the majors is just a matter of time.

If there is one thing that billionaires love to do, it’s to tell you how wrong you are, and also that you have a very short memory.  John Angelos has this in spades.  He’s repeatedly put his foot in his mouth about things, and then thinks we forget.  

His father may not have spent wisely, and didn’t spend on needed front office/development/analytics infrastructure, but at least Peter consistently had payrolls at the mid-point or above.  We were around $150m during the last of the Machado years.  

Now, we’re at $70-ish million, after a few years where we spent nothing.  Where did the $80m/year go?  It isn’t all analytics and scouting improvements, and a new DSL facility.  

It’s crazy to have him tell us we’re small market, despite his dad putting out money such as Tejada and Chris Davis, as well as signing team-friendly extensions at times for Jones and Markakis.  

But……he expects us not to remember any of this, especially how dad used to spend.  Multiple people who were in Vince McMahon’s inner circle over the years tell the same story- Vince essentially changes creative on a whim, and because he does not remember what happened a month ago, insists that the fans don’t.  

There is a very real disconnect right now between ownership and the fans, and the cause of it is John Angelos continuing to open his mouth, and revealing his plans.  He wants the Battery type area, and wants the city and state to pay for it.  Doesn’t matter if it doesn’t work, figure it out.  If not, he’s going to hold them hostage by not negotiating the new lease and crying poor.  Because if he doesn’t……..MASN has to be paid back somehow with the Nationals probably going to be getting some money, and the inheritance taxes are going to be gigantic.  

Meanwhile, the fans get to suffer through price increases when we already have ridiculously priced concessions, and the owner telling us that we’re not going to be able to keep this core together…….when Atlanta already has their guys locked up.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

HOME› SPECTRUM ARCHIVES: 2020 - PRESENT

Why has Spectrum removed MASN & MASN2 from the line up | Cat_in_the_Hat | Posts: 1 | Newcomer: April 3 | edited May 30

We were led to believe these channels disappeared because they are now only available via streaming, but MASN indicates that isn't correct but that Spectrum simply failed to negotiate a new agreement. Those of us who enjoy watching the Baltimore Orioles and the Washington Nationals would like the channels restored to the line up...not to mention there was no corresponding reduction in our monthly rates as a result of the reduced product being removed. What needs to be done to restore these channels to our line-up?

Best Answer | James_M | Posts: 4,144 | ADMIN | April 3 Answer ✓

Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN)'s carriage agreement for Spectrum has not been renewed, and the programming has been removed effective 4/1/23. We value our customers and work every day to provide the best service at the most reasonable prices.

Unfortunately, there are currently no other viewing options for these games on our channel lineup and would also not be available in MLB Extra Innings for your area. From time to time, MLB partners such as TBS, ESPN, Apple TV+ and FOX will carry select MLB games. 

We appreciate your feedback and will forward it to our leadership

That is infuriating and the fact that prices only ever go in one direction (up) despite less content being offered than before is so so so typical. MLB.tv does the same. 

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Bradish is tied for the best ERA by a starter in the AL with Garrett Cole.   I would say that is pretty franchise altering.  He is on track to make 30 starts.   Cano is an All Star.   That the others are too young to have shown what they can do in the majors is just a matter of time.

Bradish has had a nice year; I'm not ready yet to call him a franchise cornerstone. Cano is just a reliever, those guys come and go. The other guys could easily end up doing nothing of note. 

I'm not saying Elias can't identify talent, I'm saying that #1 prospect in baseball type talent rarely gets traded. Sure, you can sometimes swindle a team out of someone like Yordan Alvarez, but having to consistently do that in order to replace your stars that you never want to try to sign is a very narrow tightrope to have to walk every year. I don't think it's realistic. It's assuming that the rosiest possible scenario will happen again and again.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, deward said:

Bradish has had a nice year; I'm not ready yet to call him a franchise cornerstone. Cano is just a reliever, those guys come and go. The other guys could easily end up doing nothing of note. 

I'm not saying Elias can't identify talent, I'm saying that #1 prospect in baseball type talent rarely gets traded. Sure, you can sometimes swindle a team out of someone like Yordan Alvarez, but having to consistently do that in order to replace your stars that you never want to try to sign is a very narrow tightrope to have to walk every year. I don't think it's realistic. It's assuming that the rosiest possible scenario will happen again and again.

Some teams are better at identifying and developing talent than others.  The O’s are aspiring to be one of those teams.  I don’t know if they’ve fully proven it yet, but they’re making a case.  

Tampa has proven to be very good at this.  Several other teams have too.  If you are going to trade good players as they near free agency, your hit rate on the players you receive in return needs to be good. 

6 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Parts of North Carolina are in the MASN market but MASN is not on many cable providers in NC. Makes no sense Recent developments. 

Yeah…doesn’t make a lot of sense. Honestly they should’ve moved the Expos to Charlotte. They could’ve grabbed part of NC, SC, and coastal GA. Even north Florida since both FL teams are in the south 

Edited by Roll Tide

45 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Did anyone else find it ironic that JA decried having to compete in MLB while "having everything stacked against them" yet unlike the other major sports he doesn't have a salary floor which would force him to spend.

He puts his foot in his mouth constantly.