Ohtani Needs Second Tommy John

Dunk35

8 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I suspect they asked around before they decided they were going to try to go for it.   I just don’t think there are too many GM’s out there willing to give up more than one big prospect for even a player with Ohtani’s skills when he is healthy for a rental.  I heard people talk about Holliday, Grod and more for him.  There is no way.  I can see one if that somehow you know you would win a World Series but there is realistically no way of knowing that.  With all the layers of playoffs it is too risky for one shot.  Give me the Atlanta Braves of the 1990’s.  Yes they only won 1 World Series but they were good every year.   

I suspect Arte just made the decision.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, that decision by the Angels not to trade him but to acquire Giolito, Cron, Gruchuk and Leone in exchange for promising minor leaguers sure is looking brilliant.  Not to mention the decision to DFA Jacob Webb.  

I hope Ohtani won’t require surgery and this is more of a Masahiro Tanaka situation where rest and rehab can address it.  

There was a large majority of talking heads in the media pushing for him to be traded, in part for the page views.  

8 hours ago, waroriole said:

Even if he doesn’t pitch, wouldn’t he get a contract similar to Judge? They’re similar hitters. 

If he’s not pitching, will he be playing in the field, or just DHing to protect his arm?   That impacts his value considerably.  

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If he’s not pitching, will he be playing in the field, or just DHing to protect his arm?   That impacts his value considerably.  

Huh?

He's hardly ever played anywhere in the field except the mound in MLB.   Other than 8.1 innings spread across 7 games in the outfield in 2021, he has only ever been a DH or pitcher in the MLB.   I doubt there was every any consideration that he would suddenly start playing the field.

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I mean it’s all speculation now. He might be a 1B/DH until the arm has recovered enough to make all the OF throws. I think Bryce Harper is playing some 1B this year. 

56 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Huh?

He's hardly ever played anywhere in the field except the mound in MLB.   Other than 8.1 innings spread across 7 games in the outfield in 2021, he has only ever been a DH or pitcher in the MLB.   I doubt there was every any consideration that he would suddenly start playing the field.

My impression is he doesn’t play the field because they don’t want him to get hurt doing so and lose a pitcher that way.  And, to give him some rest since being a pitcher and playing in the rest of the games is very demanding physically.  But, if he was giving up pitching, then he could play the field.  He played the OF some in Japan, and certainly has the speed to do it.  

Anyway, for contract purposes, he’s less valuable if he is solely a DH than if he’s an OF (in the scenario where he’s not pitching anymore.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Huh?

I assume that if he were to have to give up pitching he'd go play the outfield. There's no reason to not have someone with his speed and athleticism playing the field if you're not trying rest him for pitching. Even if he's just an average RF that gives the Angels (or whomever) the flexibility to put a bad fielder at DH.

8 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Was the early 30's another of the Connie Mack teardowns?

I hadn't really connected dots (and this is applicable to Maryland baseball history, where we remember Babe more than Lefty Grove), but its interesting to note in the soon aftermath of the '27 Yankees, the teams of Lefty Grove 3.6.1900 handled the teams of Babe Ruth 2.6.1895.

Ruth had a .900 OPS against Grove in ~150 PA.

Winter of 1933 began second teardown of second dynasty by selling Mickey Cochrane etc .. … Great 3 volume biography of Connie Mack by Norman Macht