Ohtani Needs Second Tommy John

Dunk35

If it does turn out he needs a 2nd TJS and for whatever reason he does not pitch again, I think he becomes an outfielder. With his speed and athleticism, he could easily handle any OF spot. If not OF, put him at first.

He won’t just be a DH only anymore if pitching is no longer in the equation. 

9 minutes ago, O's84 said:

As a baseball fan this makes my heart break.  What he was doing was just so special and really unprecedented.  Now we have to wonder if he'll ever do it again.  Sure he can still hit at an elite level, but it just won't be the same.  This is a big loss for baseball.

He could probably be an elite closer and an MVP bat.

• Upvote 3

Hard situation for him, if the surgery is needed, not yet known, then imo he'd be best to do so ASAP even if he could bat the rest of the way, his team is done, Trout is going back on IL and he needs to do what is best for him as a FA. He would be able to bat for his team next year(example Harper) but likely not pitch until 2025. Unfortunate but his price will be a top discussion in the offseason hotstove even more now with the injury. -- Sucks to see a generational player that is so respected go down and like mentioned above he might be best suited in a bullpen slot after a 2nd surgery. 

There was always this possibility in the back of any logical person's mind with how much strain and use Ohtani's body was going through by doing what he's been doing. There's a reason why 2 way players are virtually unheard of this day in age. He was one that broke the mold, but unfortunately, it seems that the wear has caught up to him.

It's sad to see.

But selfishly for the Orioles, it also helps out our early September schedule. The Angels are a much different team without their 2 MVP caliber superstars.

• Upvote 1

Well, that decision by the Angels not to trade him but to acquire Giolito, Cron, Gruchuk and Leone in exchange for promising minor leaguers sure is looking brilliant.  Not to mention the decision to DFA Jacob Webb.  

I hope Ohtani won’t require surgery and this is more of a Masahiro Tanaka situation where rest and rehab can address it.  

• Upvote 2

I remember reading a piece awhile back that said Ohtani was being treated delicately when he first came over, ie skipping his spot in the rotation frequently and giving him days off as a batter. But it wasn't preventing injuries, so they decided to revert to the way he played in Japan, which was just going full tilt and then rehabbing as much as possible. Can't find the article now because there are so many search results for Ohtani. But it felt like a ticking time bomb to me.

Bryce Harper had TJ this past offseason and was back by opening day. I have no doubt Ohtani will take his recovery as seriously. I don't know what that means as a pitcher, but maybe the next chapter of his wonderful story is learning to play in the outfield. He has elite speed and obviously an elite arm, so he could become GG level there.