Tyler Wells closer if Bautista is hurt??

csgordos

2 minutes ago, csgordos said:

I am hoping Felix is Ok, but if not…Many will assume Cano will be closer. Wells has closed before.  Would make sense if they think his arm can handle it.  One issue is his propensity to give up the HR.  

Or am I just crazy??

The setup innings are often as high leverage and important as the 9th.   Wells probably comes up, Cano becomes the closer, and some combination of Wells/Webb/Coulombe fills the void that Cano leaves in the 8th inning.   

Have any of us actually seen Wells pitch? That is asking a lot to come back and jump straight into the closer role. Maybe after a few solid appearances to establish his confidence.

Unfortunately there's really no perfect answer. I think Grayson would be great in that role, but then we lose him from the rotation. Still, we have an extra starter now plus Means coming back. Bradish-Means-Kremer could win some games with Grayson closing. 

Or just go with a committee of Cano/Fuji/Coulombe/Webb.

• Upvote 1

Grayson is our second best starter right now.  I would definitely not move him to the bullpen.   I'd be more open to considering Flaherty or Gibson as a closer.  

Wells closed tonight in Norfolk (1 IP) with Means starting (4+ IP), so clearly the organization is planning to bring Wells back in a bullpen role while Means will start or do long relief.  The last I read (prior to tonight's outing) Wells' velocity was down to around 92.  

Wells FB has to have great command, or it gets hit really hard. His FB could tick up to 96 or so, but it is still straight. A closer has to be available on back to back nights, and generally often. Wells’ shoulder history makes me cringe in this, just a little. 

DL Hall and Mike Baumann could be wildcards here. Many of us point to Cano, Webb, Wells and Coloumbe, but I think DL has the best stuff of all of them. And Baumann had been getting higher leverage outs before they decided to back off him for a bit of a reset. 

When Wells was exclusively a reliever in 2021, his K rate was over 10 and his Bb rate was under 2.

He had a 22% swingstr% and threw almost 69% of his pitches for strikes.

All of that tells us he would make an excellent closer.

However, he also gave up his share of homers and his statcast numbers were worse as a reliever than they have been as a starter.

Now, maybe he’s a better pitcher now and the statcast numbers would be better but the homers are still there.  

I think he’s an asset out of the pen but I do think you have to be nervous bringing him in with runners on or having him in the game with a one run lead.

I don’t think there’s any way Cano wouldn’t be the closer. All-Star replacing an All-Star. Cano deserves the opportunity and seems to have the moxie for it.

Replacing Cano with a number of arms would be the easier option.

I think that Coulombe and Cano would be the 1-2.

Edited by dzorange