September Roster Expansion

RVAOsFan

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Or they felt that an outfielder was needed until Hays and Hicks are healthy and felt Cowser was the best (or easiest) available option.

Maybe I’m whistling past the graveyard, but I don’t think Hays is so unhealthy that he’s going to sit a significant amount.  He’s definitely been a bit hobbled this week, but he’s also been hitting extremely well the last two weeks and playing good defense too.  I applaud  Hyde resting Hays yesterday, which got him two full days off after slamming into the wall while making an outstanding catch, but I will be quite surprised if he’s not in the lineup tomorrow.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Maybe I’m whistling past the graveyard, but I don’t think Hays is so unhealthy that he’s going to sit a significant amount.  He’s definitely been a bit hobbled this week, but he’s also been hitting extremely well the last two weeks and playing good defense too.  I applaud  Hyde resting Hays yesterday, which got him two full days off after slamming into the wall while making an outstanding catch, but I will be quite surprised if he’s not in the lineup tomorrow.   

Right. If he’s out, it won’t be more for another game or 2 unless it’s worse than we think and he’s headed to the IL because he was hobbling earlier in the week too.

I think it's a case of modern roster maneuvering.  They're not afraid to call up a player for a game or two to fill a very temporary need - player with a minor but nagging injury or a bullpen that is spent as two examples.  Watching Kjerstad and Cowser over the past two weeks, I begin to wonder if some of them are hitting the wall, so to speak.

• Upvote 1

Orioles have Urias-Westburg-Frazier-Mateo for 2 spots in INF with Gunnar being an everyday player. Ortiz is not fast. Would be nice at times to get Santander and Hays off their feet especially the former. 

Cowser fits as a better bench piece right now. If Kjerstad is called up it necessitates a 40 man move and who do you sit for him to play?

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I guess for me, the cry was that Cowser was struggling and had to go down because of that and, like Grayson, had to go work on things.

He went to AAA and really didn’t hit that well. So, either he didn’t need to go down and work on things and that was all a bunch of bs or his performance down there was much better than the numbers show.

It’s not like he’s the only OFer down there and it’s not like the Os can’t use Frazier, OHearn, Mateo or maybe even Westburg for a few games before Hicks comes back.

The biggest issue is he didn't have an opportunity and the team didn't need him. That's still an issue but at least we have a roster spot open. He's already shown he can hit AAA. I think most everyone is on board with his body of work there. Working on things was a bonus and hopefully it helped. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

The biggest issue is he didn't have an opportunity and the team didn't need him. That's still an issue but at least we have a roster spot open. He's already shown he can hit AAA. I think most everyone is on board with his body of work there. Working on things was a bonus and hopefully it helped. 

I disagree .. i think his hitting AAA  well was before he was called up , then he was absolutely awful, not just sort of bad, but abysmal in his  callup and has not impressed back at Norfolk. I would rather have had Kjerstad, Ortiz or Holliday, but we shall see. 

Again, and correct me if I'm wrong, but people need to appreciate that just because these two guys were brought up initially, it does not mean they must or will occupy the roster spots for the entirety of the month.  The team is going to cycle through roster spots 27 and 28, just as they have 24-26 all year.

The Orioles have to be careful if they don't want a player ending up on a competitor's roster. Teams like the Rangers, Guardians, Twins, and the Astros are fair position to pounce on a waiver right now. So if the team DFA's Voth or Fujinami, there's always the chance one of them can wind up on an opponent's roster.

These decisions aren't easy. That's why Mike Elias & Sig Mejdal (hopefully) gets paid the big bucks.