Friday, September 1st @Arizona Diamondbacks

Moose Milligan

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Most guys don't throw him out coming in from the outfield. To throw him out on a ball going back is incredible 

Agreed. Interesting to compare that play to the one against the Rockies. No harm in giving it your best shot tonight, but not the same risk/reward in the other game.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Native American’s don’t have anything better than talking stick? They have beautiful languages, that’s the best they could do?

I'm sure it's much more eloquent in the native language, translations are often dumb sounding.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Agreed. I will be interested to see where this one shows up on Savant. 

Tough to gauge by Savant because it was not a difficult catch, it was the double play that really made it special and Savant doesn't have too much data there.

Savant has this one with an xBA of .150, so 85% catch probability.  I poked around for typical sac fly distances, and this ball was right on the edge in terms of minimum distance for a SF.  But the fact that it's Carroll running, and Gunnar was running away from the play, it had to be a perfect throw to get him and he literally put it so Adley's glove was touching Carroll's foot as he caught it.  He puts the throw anywhere else and Carroll's safe.

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The earliest 2025 NFBC results exist, and slotted him about the 30th best AL starter for 2025 alone's expected statistical production.    Eflin and all five guys in Tampa's forecast rotation (Baz, McClanahan, Pepiot, Bradley, Springs) fell around that level. That assumes free agents Burnes, Snell, Flaherty, Kikuchi, Pivetta, Fried and Manaea fall about half into the AL. He'll start Opening Day, but it is a byproduct of the disappointing beginning to Grayson's career and Bradish's current injury. I think odds are pretty low he is a 2026 Oriole.
    • Whoever we add needs to be able to play a solid CF or LF at OPACY and Pham definitely does not fit that bill.
    • I'm one for Tommy Pham, even though I'll take heat for it.  I think the veteran aspect of it could be key. O'Neil would be great, but he also brings more of what we have in the Ks and HRs department
    • Let's see how he does over a full year here first so we don't overpay for a SSS. He was pretty pedestrian prior to the trade.
    • I could see against tough lefties Holiday sits, Westy at 2B, and Mayo at 3B.  Or Holiday at SS to spell Gunnar sometimes too and this being the configuration. But yes, most of Holiday at 2B, Westy at 3B and Mayo DH or 1B.
    • I don't think you bring Slater back if you add Bader (unless Austin's willing to take a MiLB deal and start the year at Norfolk) because then you have to get rid of either Urias or Mateo, and that doesn't seem wise with how thinned out the IF depth is now and Holliday still trying to get his feet under him.
    • This is true. However, it is more situational in the post season. Guys are pitched to differently. You have to take what the game gives you. Home runs happen, but the best teams know when to take that shot and when to shorten up or be more line drive oriented. Home runs can be a surprise to good hitters who simply were in time and put a good swing on plane through the ball. It was a line drive that ran out of field. Hitters have to know who they are. Some sit on fast balls early in the count in a certain small box. If they get it, they take that A swing. Or maybe they sit off speed early. They may take a strike that is more of a pitcher’s pitch, or one they were not looking for. if you’re sitting fastball early, not a great idea to swing at a curveball. Or vice versa. Whatever the case, with two strikes, you have to think contact and productive at bat. For some, that approach may be sooner in the at bat, of the situation dictates it. There is no BABIP if there is not a ball in play. So luck plays no role in a strikeout. It seemed like the Orioles, as a whole, in 2024 were looking a certain pitch, and if the pitch was hittable they would hack. Even if it was just off the plate. Too many big swings, and tons of resulting misses, in key situations where shortening up a bit was the better approach. Lastly, not many of our guys are true “home run hitters.” What I mean by that is when Santander strikes out swinging at a piece ch with a big cut. I get it. That is his game to be focused on driving the ball. That is what he gets paid to do. Along with that comes a fair amount of swing and miss, and roll over ground balls. Not all our hitters should be having the same approach. Gunnar may hit 35-40 home runs in a season, but he is a much more dynamic hitter than just a “home run guy.” He is capable of doing anything on the field. He is extremely talented, and we have a few more that may fall into that category some day. There are times to adjust and take what the game gives you. Go oppo for a single, put pressure on the defense. This game is hard, but we can do better. If we are going to win, we must do much better.   
  • Popular Contributors