Tuesday, September 5: Orioles at Angels

SteveA

Just now, Brooks The Great said:

Using Lopez tonight in that spot was terrible. 

This is another example of Hyde relying on short sample sizes (like he's done with Hicks) and sentimentality over performance and talent.

Lopez has been awful all season. He's not the same guy that he was for the Orioles last season, and his previous clean inning doesn't mean that he's a reliable option in a high leverage situation. 

Who would you have pitched?   There were a lot of innings. 

2 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Using Lopez tonight in that spot was terrible. 

This is another example of Hyde relying on short sample sizes (like he's done with Hicks) and sentimentality over performance and talent.

Lopez has been awful all season. He's not the same guy that he was for the Orioles last season, and his previous clean inning doesn't mean that he's a reliable option in a high leverage situation. 

Are you mad at Hyde for pitching Lopez or Elias for putting him on the roster? Because Kremer lasted only 4+ and the alternative is Fuji or Krehbiel.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Clearly he has a roster spot for a playoff series with the Yankees….
    • My stance would be pretty simple. Im not trading any of the top 3 prospects and im not trading any of the young talent that is controlled long term that is currently on the ML roster. That means besides the very obvious guys that players like Cowser and Kjerstad are also off the board. Now, if a player like Skubal becomes available, that could cause me to change my mind but as I look around at the reported available players, I don’t see anyone worth a top 20 prospect or young contributing ML talent. Guys like Norby and Stowers fall into that latter category but they aren’t here right now and they are just redundant on our roster. So I’m telling teams if you want to deal with us, guys like Norby, Stowers and Beavers are who will lead deals and that several vets, led by Mountcastle, are also on the board in any potential contender/contender(fringe contender) type deal. I think whether it’s Fedde or relievers like Estevez or Nardi or Garcia or even Scott, I think we have enough to get deals done without trading any of the guys we would rather not lose. This is all to say that I just don’t see that proven elite high end talent available this deadline to justify trading any of those top guys.
    • He’s an interesting test case. Prior to 2023, wasn’t good. In 2023, he threw around 200 innings iirc in the KBO and learned the sweeper. Now he is pitching much better. His statcast stats are pretty good although he’s not missing bats or getting Ks and he has a tendency to give up some hard contact.  
    • I don’t think he can be counted on for that. If you can get him cheap fine but his career WAR is 3.5 and he has 3.7 this year. Plus he’s 33 innings short of his career high …did 120-130 range twice. How could that be your acquisition that can be counted on when he could quite possibly run out of gas? Or get to a team where performance matters and feel the pressure versus pitching for the White Sox…A horrid team that everyone knew was going to suck.
    • Yea but how are you defining that?  Is Fedde a #3 or better, for example?
    • With all due respect … I think you are counting on Mayo to come up and immediately perform. I don’t think it’s realistic… possible yes. But, most guys have an adjustment. If it’s one thing we’ve seen from Hyde is the reluctance to give regular time to the rookies. Didn’t see it with Stowers, Norby, etc. They did  give it to Holliday but I think there was pressure being put on him to do so.  You think he would replace Urias who doesn’t play everyday with Mayo and sit the other guys to play him every day which is what a player needs during that adjustment period? 
    • Roch retweeted this. Lots of fans are speculating that it means Watkins is coming back to the Os. It makes some sense as we need fresh arms.  His numbers aren’t great this year but not sure that is going to matter.
  • Popular Contributors