ESPN: Angels Open to Trout Trade

Pat Kelly

5 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I think this is perfect for a dumb team like the Yankees or the Rangers.   The Orioles are not going to get close to this guy for nothing. 

Fans need to realize the Mike Trout from his 20's probably isn't coming back. Trout's career is having some eerie similarities to Ken Griffey Jr's career. Both considered the best player in the game during their twenties and battling constant injuries in their thirties. 

Trout has played 130 games or better two times since the start of the 2017 season. He's a great player, but I don't want him. Angelos is never going to go for it anyways.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Fans need to realize the Mike Trout from his 20's probably isn't coming back. Trout's career is having some eerie similarities to Ken Griffey Jr's career. Both considered the best player in the game during their twenties and battling constant injuries in their thirties. 

Trout has played 130 games or better two times since the start of the 2017 season. He's a great player, but I don't want him. Angelos is never going to go for it anyways.

Bonds' career started before Griffey's.

I don't think you could make a convincing argument that Griffey was the superior player.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Bonds' career started before Griffey's.

I don't think you could make a convincing argument that Griffey was the superior player.

I'm talking more about at the time during the 90's Griffey Jr. was widely considered the best player in baseball. I'm not claiming he had the better career than Bonds. Overall career Bonds is better. You just have nitpick at everything.

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm talking more about at the time during the 90's Griffey Jr. was widely considered the best player in baseball. I'm not claiming he had the better career than Bonds. Overall career Bonds is better. You just have nitpick at everything.

He wasn't better than Bonds in the 90's.

Bonds had four years with an rWAR of 9 in the 90's, three between 8 and 9.

Griffey had one MVP in the 90's, Bonds had three.

I guess if you only watched American League games you might think Griffey was better but he wasn't.

He was more hyped, I'll give you that.

If you don't believe me go look at the numbers.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He wasn't better than Bonds in the 90's.

Bonds had four years with an rWAR of 9 in the 90's, three between 8 and 9.

Griffey had one MVP in the 90's, Bonds had three.

I guess if you only watched American League games you might think Griffey was better but he wasn't.

He was more hyped, I'll give you that.

If you don't believe me go look at the numbers.

I never said I personally claimed it, but many writers and fans thought Griffey Jr. was the best player in the game for a period of time during the 90’s. 

You’re starting an argument over nothing. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if Mookie Betts could eventually pass Trout in career WAR.   He’s a year younger, seemingly a lot healthier.  He has some serious catching up to do but he’s piling up some good numbers.  

rWAR: Trout 85.1 (2.7 this year), Betts 64.2 (8.0)
fWAR: Trout 85.1 (3.0 this year), Betts 58.2 (7.9 this year).

I guess closing the fWAR gap is almost impossible.  rWAR a lot more feasible though very difficult.  

Trout is starting to feel a lot like the Ken Griffey of his day (though he already has more rWAR than Griffey in about 55% of the PA).   The injuries won’t quite let him do what he used to do.

Maybe a bit of a funny fluke but interesting nonetheless that Trouts rWAR and fWAR are identical for his career.

18 hours ago, oriole said:

The only team out there dumb enough to take on Trouts contract AND send prospects are the Angels. 

I wouldn’t want him even if it was purely taking on the rest of his contract. $37 million a year for the next 7 years is stupid money for a guy who is on the wrong side of 30 and is creating a habit of going on the IL every year. That’s not to say the guy isn’t going to be a great player, but it’s not worth the risk. 

I would do something along the lines of trading a couple of our top pieces if it meant they pay like $20 million a year on his contract. But that ain’t happening 

Texas and Mets are dumb enough