ESPN: Angels Open to Trout Trade

Pat Kelly

Do the Os kick the tires on this?  RF /DH MOO bat upgrade.  Maybe Angels pick up some of the $ depending on the prospects.   Could likely provide value that no one else could match without doing long term damage.   Better veteran bat than Hick or Frazier LOL. https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38369441/report-angels-open-trading-mike-trout-wants-out

The only team out there dumb enough to take on Trouts contract AND send prospects are the Angels. 

I wouldn’t want him even if it was purely taking on the rest of his contract. $37 million a year for the next 7 years is stupid money for a guy who is on the wrong side of 30 and is creating a habit of going on the IL every year. That’s not to say the guy isn’t going to be a great player, but it’s not worth the risk. 

I would do something along the lines of trading a couple of our top pieces if it meant they pay like $20 million a year on his contract. But that ain’t happening 

Can we put him in a Time Machine and go back about ten years?   If so, I’d be interested.   Otherwise, he’s still a very good player when healthy, but he’s hurt too much and probably won’t come close to earning his astronomicsl salaries  between now and 2030.  He’s got 7/$259.8 mm coming to him.  He’d have to produce about 32.5 WAR to be worth that.  

I wonder if Mookie Betts could eventually pass Trout in career WAR.   He’s a year younger, seemingly a lot healthier.  He has some serious catching up to do but he’s piling up some good numbers.  

rWAR: Trout 85.1 (2.7 this year), Betts 64.2 (8.0)
fWAR: Trout 85.1 (3.0 this year), Betts 58.2 (7.9 this year).

I guess closing the fWAR gap is almost impossible.  rWAR a lot more feasible though very difficult.  

Trout is starting to feel a lot like the Ken Griffey of his day (though he already has more rWAR than Griffey in about 55% of the PA).   The injuries won’t quite let him do what he used to do.

22 minutes ago, oriole said:

The only team out there dumb enough to take on Trouts contract AND send prospects are the Angels. 

I wouldn’t want him even if it was purely taking on the rest of his contract. $37 million a year for the next 7 years is stupid money for a guy who is on the wrong side of 30 and is creating a habit of going on the IL every year. That’s not to say the guy isn’t going to be a great player, but it’s not worth the risk. 

I would do something along the lines of trading a couple of our top pieces if it meant they pay like $20 million a year on his contract. But that ain’t happening 

I would say Cohen, but he seems to have figured out you can't just buy your way to the World Series (unless it means buying prospects).