Can they option someone these last 6 games and still put them on the post season roster?

accinfo

That looks like a yes to me as well. I can't find any exact language on the 10 day (or 15 days for pitchers) for optioning a player to the minors and then adding them to the postseason roster. I'm guessing like you said that goes out the window once the playoffs start.

As long as the player was with the organization by August 31st is the only hard rule for postseason eligibility. If the Orioles can option Grayson and perhaps another player with no impact on when they can make the playoff roster, then I'm expecting to see a couple roster moves later this week. 

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-roster-rules-eligibility

4 hours ago, accinfo said:

I believe the answer to this is yes but I am just checking if they clinch the division sometime midweek could they option Grayson and lets say pitch someone in the minors the final weekend?  I am guessing the 10 day in the minors requirement would not apply.  

I believe I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that the 10 & 15-day rules still apply, so if someone gets sent down today they wouldn't be eligible to come back until October 10th unless they are replacing an injured player.

5 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That looks like a yes to me as well. I can't find any exact language on the 10 day (or 15 days for pitchers) for optioning a player to the minors and then adding them to the postseason roster. I'm guessing like you said that goes out the window once the playoffs start.

As long as the player was with the organization by August 31st is the only hard rule for postseason eligibility. If the Orioles can option Grayson and perhaps another player with no impact on when they can make the playoff roster, then I'm expecting to see a couple roster moves later this week. 

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-roster-rules-eligibility

The way I read this, anyone on the 40 man is eligible, even if they are in the minors. Then there are exceptions for players who aren't on the 40an. So yes, I am not expert in roster rules but I believe Grayson, Kjerstad etc could be optioned and still make the postseason roster as long as they stay on the 40 man roster.

I don't know the answer for sure, but there is a down side to doing this even if there's no 14+ day wait. Optioning a player to the minor leagues causes his salary to be significantly decreased and pro rated for each day that he is in the minor leagues. For that reason, you wouldn't want to do that to a player like Grayson Rodriguez who has been everything you hoped for since he worked his way back up to MLB into the rotation, and we will be relying on him in the playoffs.

Player & team morale is important to consider.

If it were a different (bullpen) player who was less significant, then that I could see that as a possibility. They could also have Flaherty and/or Irvin start one/two of the games to rest starter's arms in the last week if they set it up right.

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

According to Baseball Almanac:

Players who are on the disabled list or any other non-active transaction by the end of the regular season will have their transactions passed on in the postseason.

Then it sounds like they can’t option Grayson any roster moves will have to be players who won’t be on the postseason roster or DFA someone like Lopez as mentioned in this thread. 

20 hours ago, rm5678 said:

I believe I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that the 10 & 15-day rules still apply, so if someone gets sent down today they wouldn't be eligible to come back until October 10th unless they are replacing an injured player.

I looked this up in the Major League Rules.  Couldn’t find a 2023 edition, but per the 2021 edition, Rule 41 (a)(2), this is correct.