Going to miss Kevin, Jim, and Ben

seak05

44 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Not sure why you dislike Kevin Brown so much. Sure he can be silly and corny at times but overall he's a really good play by play announcer. 

It's kind of just his schtick around here. I refuse to believe that anyone who endured Scott Garceau could genuinely feel that way about Kevin.

I might be the only one, but I listen to the away broadcasts for maybe around half of the games.

Not because Brown, Ben and Palmer aren't tremendous home team commentators. They are. I just like to break things up and keep things a bit fresh. I'm also interested in how the rest of the league perceives the Orioles. While other teams commentators can be brutal to listen to with the home team sometimes, I find most of their opinions on the Orioles to be pretty objective or even favor the O's a bit too much.

And sometimes you really do miss out on other great broadcasters by doing so. I love Kevin Brown, but there are a few other play-by-play guys that I love even more. Guys like Dan Schulman for the Blue Jays or Gary Cohen of the Mets or Jason Benetti of the White Sox.

I will say that I find there to be a big drop off in quality after Brown, Ben and Palmer. More than normal. I think Brett Hollander does a good job and I like it when he subs in. Almost anybody else for play by play or color and I'm going to the away broadcasts. At least Jim Hunter isn't a thing anymore, though.

Edited by dzorange
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, dzorange said:

I will say that I find there to be a big drop off in quality after Brown, Ben and Palmer. More than normal. I think Brett Hollander does a good job and I like it when he subs in. Almost anybody else for play by play or color and I'm going to the away broadcasts. At least Jim Hunter isn't a thing anymore, though.

If I hear the radio crew say "Ribeye Reese Levin" one more time I'm going to cut my ears off.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, dzorange said:

I might be the only one, but I listen to the away broadcasts for maybe around half of the games.

Not because Brown, Ben and Palmer aren't tremendous home team commentators. They are. I just like to break things up and keep things a bit fresh. I'm also interested in how the rest of the league perceives the Orioles. While other teams commentators can be brutal to listen to with the home team sometimes, I find most of their opinions on the Orioles to be pretty objective or even favor the O's a bit too much.

And sometimes you really do miss out on other great broadcasters by doing so. I love Kevin Brown, but there are a few other play-by-play guys that I love even more. Guys like Dan Schulman for the Blue Jays or Gary Cohen of the Mets or Jason Benetti of the White Sox.

I gave ten seconds of thought to watching the Nats crew announce last night’s game, then thought better of it.  And as the OP says, after 5 more games we’ll be watching other announcers for as long as the O’s last in the postseason.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I gave ten seconds of thought to watching the Nats crew announce last night’s game, then thought better of it.  And as the OP says, after 5 more games we’ll be watching other announcers for as long as the O’s last in the postseason.  

I didn't watch yesterday's game. I'll have to take a quick listen to see how they are. Awful Announcing had them ranked 3rd to last in the commentary rankings - https://awfulannouncing.com/orig/2023-mlb-local-broadcaster-rankings.html

Edited by dzorange

45 minutes ago, dzorange said:

Rays TV crew is pretty good.

6 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I like Dan Shulman and Buck Martinez. Buck used to do our games for a stretch there. 

I don’t find a big drop off in quality between KB and Geoff Arnold and BH. Some drop off, yes, but not significant. 

I couldn’t stand Buck Martinez when he was here.  He used to alternate with Mike Flanagan and I used to pray it was a Flanagan night.  (Palmer did fewer games in those days, I think.)

1 hour ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

It's kind of just his schtick around here. I refuse to believe that anyone who endured Scott Garceau could genuinely feel that way about Kevin.

I also never said I like Scott Garceau better. I’d prefer Kevin Brown to Garceau, obviously, but I just don’t really care for Kevin Brown. It’s not a schtick.