Going to miss Kevin, Jim, and Ben

seak05

2 hours ago, yark14 said:

If I hear the radio crew say "Ribeye Reese Levin" one more time I'm going to cut my ears off.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Interestingly I really liked Bordick when he was on the broadcasts.

If I ever hear Bordick say "the crusher" one more time, I'm not going to cut my ears off....I'm going to cut my whole head off.

One of the best things about KB is he knows when to shut up and let Palmer or Ben talk.  I also like that he's not so in awe of the ex-ballplayers that he doesn't mind ribbing them.  I think he does a great job of walking the fine line of respecting their careers and knowledge, and still busting balls like good friends do.  

Thorne was an outstanding broadcaster in general: great voice, tamber, cadence, rhythm.  But KB doesn't make as many glaring mistakes on pitch identification or baseball rules as Thorne made.  And Thorne would never correct his mistakes...just kept talking away...and didn't even seem to notice when Palmer would correct him.

18 minutes ago, Otter said:

One of the best things about KB is he knows when to shut up and let Palmer or Ben talk.  I also like that he's not so in awe of the ex-ballplayers that he doesn't mind ribbing them.  I think he does a great job of walking the fine line of respecting their careers and knowledge, and still busting balls like good friends do.  

Thorne was an outstanding broadcaster in general: great voice, tamber, cadence, rhythm.  But KB doesn't make as many glaring mistakes on pitch identification or baseball rules as Thorne made.  And Thorne would never correct his mistakes...just kept talking away...and didn't even seem to notice when Palmer would correct him.

Sometimes I wonder if Thorne was actually watching the game on a monitor or looking out the box onto the field. He’d call what was clearly a fastball a slider so often I struggle to find another explanation. 

5 hours ago, Osornot said:

Palmer and Ben are #1.  I don't get the KB ire but I do think he is somewhat generic but good which works when Palmer and/or Ben are on.  I don't know how many agree but Thorne/Palmer is still one of my favorites - incredibly entertaining to the point that my wife would listen (only while doing other things).

Also, I remember when Melanie (radio) received pretty bad reviews here towards the beginning of the season and I was one of them.  I have listened recently and believe she has improved.  That is a tough job but I assume she has made a total effort to grow.  

She really excels at what she's been asked to do lately outside of play-by-play, which is pre- and post-game analysis and interviews. 

I still think she doesn't have a good feel for PBP; on the radio she leaves out too much or uses phrases that take a long time for my brain to decipher, or uses standard baseball phrases incorrectly that also hurt my brain, while on TV she either talks nonstop as though she's the color commentator, or gets completely quiet when needing to let us know key situations/actions on the field, even just the count sometimes. 

Maybe that can be learned (better) over (more) time, but she's been doing PBP for quite a while so it's hard to say if she can grasp those nuances well enough to be listenable or should just stick to her strengths.  I think she's really quite good at the jobs that aren't in-game broadcasting.

• Upvote 1