Update Again Again: OPACY lease officially official, done and approved, for real this time

spleen1015

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m glad we can be done with this topic for a while.  Now I can turn my attention to Ted Leonsis’ plan to abandon DC and move the Caps and Wizards to Northern Virginia at a cost that makes the Camden Yards project look like chicken feed.  

Hopefully that won't alter David Rubenstein's "best investment" power rankings.     He should really share those here every Monday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R49-xH4MYzk

Ravens renovations will be installed over three years. Their off-season's are longer and occur during better weather, so it may not be prudent to do as much in a baseball off-season. I can't imagine the Orioles doing nearly this much though; the site couldn't support this level of new construction; maybe in the development area east and north of the warehouse.

15 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but open concourses are overrated. It's one of the things that I hate the most about PNC Park in Pittsburgh. It makes it feel like an unfinished minor league stadium. Using funding to do stadium repairs or maybe upgrade the scoreboard / sound system is perfectly fine, but there's literally nothing that needs to or should change in terms of the general layout/structure of OPACY. It's a perfect and timeless stadium in that regard and should be treated as such. 

They will definitely do something with the left field upper level in the corner. Only used for about five games this year. I dont want a massive scoreboard but one you can see during the day. Sound system is horrible and needs to be fixed. Bathrooms also need work. Seating will be lowered but by how much? They were talking about 37,000 or so seven years back.

18 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

No one is going to call it the new name.   It will always be "Oriole Park" or "Camden Yards".

Whoever called it Orioles Park? lol That was the BS Angelos had shoved in front of it because that's what he wanted. Camden Yards is all I've ever heard it referred to when talking with people and if the naming rights are sold, no one is going to call it that accept the announcers.

Some corporation will waste a bunch of money on it though and get nothing but probably a tax write off.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

They will definitely do something with the left field upper level in the corner. Only used for about five games this year. I dont want a massive scoreboard but one you can see during the day. Sound system is horrible and needs to be fixed. Bathrooms also need work. Seating will be lowered but by how much? They were talking about 37,000 or so seven years back.

I don't know how they'll do it, but it would be great if some of the seating could get more shade. Day games in the summer are brutal in the direct sun. I won't go unless it's on the 3b side or under cover.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Whoever called it Orioles Park? lol That was the BS Angelos had shoved in front of it because that's what he wanted. Camden Yards is all I've ever heard it referred to when talking with people and if the naming rights are sold, no one is going to call it that accept the announcers.

Some corporation will waste a bunch of money on it though and get nothing but probably a tax write off.

& a premium suite😛

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Eh, they pay what they do for a reason. As dumb as it seems to us, it still makes them money.

Kinda like George randomly singing his name during dates on Seinfeld.... "Cos...stanza!"

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

I think a good restaurant in upper left field would be pretty cool, especially if it was one you could visit year-round. The DBacks had that at Chase field when I visited. We went and got lunch during the day and ate on the 'patio'. Cool to see the field the whole time. You accessed the restaurant portion and went up to it without truly entering the ballpark.

image.png.2008e83eab02eae3aa35872ba920eb5d.png

24 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but open concourses are overrated. It's one of the things that I hate the most about PNC Park in Pittsburgh. It makes it feel like an unfinished minor league stadium. Using funding to do stadium repairs or maybe upgrade the scoreboard / sound system is perfectly fine, but there's literally nothing that needs to or should change in terms of the general layout/structure of OPACY. It's a perfect and timeless stadium in that regard and should be treated as such. 

Yes, but they need those open areas to handle the massive crowds the Pirates get!!

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I literally don’t care what’s it’s called.  It will always be Oriole Park or Camden Yards to me. The name on the building means nothing.

So you would be indifferent to "Peter Angelos Memorial Stadium?"  I know what I'm getting you for Xmas!  🤣

Edited by BRobinsonfan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m glad we can be done with this topic for a while.  Now I can turn my attention to Ted Leonsis’ plan to abandon DC and move the Caps and Wizards to Northern Virginia at a cost that makes the Camden Yards project look like chicken feed.  

This is why I think all of the angst over Angelos' plans/request were silly.  In the big scheme of sports owners gouging local taxpayers, it was and is a nothing burger.  The amount of land he was asking for development rights to were relatively small.  But it was the Angelos Boogie Man to lets all melt down.  And by all, I include the Peter Schmuck's of the world.

Some notes from the Baltimore Sun :

The Orioles’ wish list for Camden Yards includes removing upper deck seats in various locations and creating more “social spaces,” according to an exhibit included as part of the team’s just-announced lease agreement.

The plan would include removing an unspecified number of left field upper deck seats to accommodate social spaces and a “relocated and expanded Kids’ Zone,” the exhibit says.

It also says the Flag Court area behind right field at Oriole Park could be expanded, including “removal of select seats” below the main scoreboard to create a centerfield bar and hospitality area.

And upper deck seats behind home plate also could be removed to create a bar overlooking

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Angelos?

It was named "Oriole Park at Camden Yards" when it opened, which was  well before Angelos owned the team.

According to wikipedia (which I know isn't always 100% accurate), Gov Schaefer favored Camden Yards and Eli Jacobs favored Oriole Park, and the OPACY compromise was reached.   But it definitely happened before it opened which means Angelos had nothing to do with it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Am I the only one who's only ever referred to as Camden Yards ever since it was built? I've never once said that I'm going to "Oriole Park at Camden Yards". It's always been Camden Yards to me and will continue to be regardless of what silly name they try to put in front of it. 

I refer to it as OPACY when writing.

Verbally I call it Camden Yards.

• Upvote 1