FAs available this offseason

Sports Guy

Aaron Hicks is being paid by the Yankees through 2025, correct? He's a FA, but can basically choose his own landing spot. 

I'd love to get Snell or Nola, but they're likely way out of our price range. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) our currency isn't money, but prospects. We'll probably buy some arms in the off season, but the payment will be in our minor league stars rather than dollars. 

I noticed the friendly Ineligible for Qualifying Offer asterisk by Lucas Giolito.     I wonder if his 2023 was lackluster enough he'll want a pillow and a smarter organization for a reset.      With Kershaw withering and other circumstances, the Dodgers among others will I believe be competing for a pitcher or three for reliable innings.

Giolito for me is a contrast to Lyles/Gibson - he's a big talent who perhaps hasn't maxed out what he can achieve.

Giolito (and Fried) were 2 years ahead of Flaherty at Beverly Hills 90210.

I only expect Elias at this point to win bids on established professionals coming off suboptimal years, so guys like Snell I don't believe will ever get close.

A number of those SP's would slot nicely into our rotation. Eduardo Rodriguez, Marcus Stroman, Aaron Nola, Jordan Montgomery, and Sonny Gray all have bodies of work showing they get hitters out at an above average rate even if seasonal ERA's can be fickle. Don't let anyone tell you that we either:

1. don't need one of these SP's. Maybe the organization will give them another shot to prove otherwise, but Tyler Wells and DL Hall are relievers. Kyle Gibson isn't good enough. Chase McDermott and Cade Povich are not to be relied on. If they make it impossible to keep them in AAA, adjustments can be made.  

2. can't afford one of these SP's. Angelos is swimming in it and a semi-significant multi year deal for a proven SP will not cripple or adversely affect the "health" of the organization. 

Jordan Montgomery is my guy. Lefty and strong vs lefty hitters so he is a good fit for OPACY, no QO, historically very durable and coming off a very strong year and he has AL East and postseason experience. Only 31. 

Unfortunately I think he will have a very strong market despite not being an eye-grabbing “ace” type and the Orioles will never go to 5 years for him. Maybe he could be had for 4/80 and the Orioles may stretch to that, but if the market is hot (and it should be) he will get the 5th year and I don’t think that will ever fly with Angelos.

Lots of interesting righty relievers. I expect them to add one, but who knows what the budget will be. The Orioles are a pretty appealing destination for a 1-year deal for somebody who wants a shot to close and then re-enter the market. Maybe Kimbrel or Robertson, or perhaps cheaper Pierce Johnson or a flyer on Dylan Floro (and of course Jorge Lopez, although he may only get a MiL deal).

I don’t expect the Orioles to turn into a team that deals out multi-year pacts for RP now that they are in “contender” mode, but all of Hicks, Stephenson, Jimenez and Reynaldo Lopez are very interesting. They will all likely command multi-year deals.

If the Orioles don’t get one of those higher quality RP or add via trade, I expect that Wells or Hall will be closing next year. Cano is better suited for a setup role where he can be deployed more targeting righty hitters rather than locked into a closer job.