Some potential moves for this offseason

Sports Guy

19 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

No one even considers McDermott a top 199 prospect.  If he has Gibson's career, I would consider that a 90% outcome.  If Elias can't trade a player like McDermott, he just just block the numbers of other GMs and state he is never trading any precious prospects.  Ceases performance in 2022 is as good as any O's starter in the last 30 years.   Can't see why people don't want to add Cease if the price is right. 

McDermott is pretty good. Cease has been a stuff over results guy. I believe with other teams desperation the price will be too high. 

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

Hays is a "Frazier like player" only better for roughly half the cost.  If Santander is resigned then that will be a vote of confidence that he will continue to provide power in the middle of the order for an acceptable (albeit full retail) price.  If that happens, then I would prefer trading Hays and spending the difference on pitching.  There are worse gambles in baseball than giving Kjerstad an opportunity with Cowser as a fallback or vice versa.

I wouldn't call it a bad gamble, I just think Elias is risk adverse.  The O's are competing against teams w/ $250=300 mil+ payrolls plus willing to spend as much or more than the O's on talent acquisition and development.  At some point, you have to take some chances.  I believe that Westburg would be a decent fallback in the OF if Holliday breaks camps as the 2B (in addition to Cowser and Kjerstad).

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I wouldn't call it a bad gamble, I just think Elias is risk adverse.  The O's are competing against teams w/ $250=300 mil+ payrolls plus willing to spend as much or more than the O's on talent acquisition and development.  At some point, you have to take some chances.  I believe that Westburg would be a decent fallback in the OF if Holliday breaks camps as the 2B (in addition to Cowser and Kjerstad).

You say risk averse, but there’s risk either way IMO.  It’s a matter of judging the risks of hoping the younger players develop vs. the risk that the more established players you might acquire won’t perform.   

14 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Is Bieber even better than Kremer at this point?  Even Hays might be too much to give up. I really want the O's to at least get a guy who is better than Means' baseline of 3.7ish ERA.   I'm almost sure that Angelos won't spend the money or Elias the prospects to get a #1 starter, and I'm starting to doubt the O's will trade for or sign a #2 starter. 

Even a broken Bieber is better than Kremer IMO. I think the idea though is that you trade for him if you think he can get back to at least 75% of what he was. I know he has red flags, but he's also just a season removed from a sub 3.00 ERA. My personal preference would be to sign someone like Nola (who's not without his own concerns), but I think there's very little chance the Orioles pony up the years and money he'll command. I also like trading Santander for Bieber would probably be better move than trading Hays for him. If we offer up Santander we can probably squeeze a much needed solid bullpen arm out of them as well. 

11 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I agree with you that I don't want an OF with Kjerstad and Santander in the corners.  Cowser hasn't shown that he can hit MLB pitching.  I would like to think he can but I could see Elias signing a Frazier like player for the OF.  Looking forward to lots of players bemoaning this signing. 

I'm a bit on the fence about that type of signing because I really don't want them to block anyone (like they did with Frazier). That said, in looking at the FA OFs, guys like Canha, Kiermaier, Bader, and Duvall seem like they might meet the Frazier-like profile. I'm assuming the Brewers won't pick up the option on Canha since they have so many young OFs in their pipeline.