Adley’s Conditioning

Buntingdownfourruns

2 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

You are thinking of Gunnar Henderson, who is better than Adley at a much younger age and who was just voted Most Valuable Oriole and will soon be named Rookie of the Year and possibly a Gold Glover.

Also, I acknowledge I’m just salty and coping from the playoff sweep and it’s ridiculous to draw any significant conclusion from three games, but one of them showed up in the playoff series when the whole country watching and it wasn’t Adley. 

Agree.  To me GH is much much better than AR and it isn't particularly close.  It all goes back to what I said.  Athleticism.  GH is an elite athlete.  AR is a very good baseball player but in no way is he an elite athlete.

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Agree.  To me GH is much much better than AR and it isn't particularly close.  It all goes back to what I said.  Athleticism.  GH is an elite athlete.  AR is a very good baseball player but in no way is he an elite athlete.

Right because guys that aren't elite athletes play division 1A Baseball and Football both.

Sure they do.

Pretty much everyone that plays professional football, baseball, basketball or hockey is an elite athlete.

You ever watch the Brian Scalabrine videos?

3 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

You are thinking of Gunnar Henderson, who is better than Adley at a much younger age and who was just voted Most Valuable Oriole and will soon be named Rookie of the Year and possibly a Gold Glover.

Also, I acknowledge I’m just salty and coping from the playoff sweep and it’s ridiculous to draw any significant conclusion from three games, but one of them showed up in the playoff series when the whole country watching and it wasn’t Adley. 

I agree he'll take over the mantle shortly, but every ad on MLB for the division series had a picture of Adley. He's still the most well-known Oriole. 

I don't think it was anything about conditioning, I think we had the luxury of having as good a defensive catcher on the roster who they don't have long future odds on like they do Adley.  The fact that he was still in almost every game and placed in a leadoff or second batting position shows the value the club holds for him.  Saving his knees by not placing him at C everyday is smart.

As to his value over Gunnar.  Love Gunnar, but Adley is in every play.  The catcher is the General.  If we don't extend him this year it should be next year.  Adley IS the face - for now - he deserves the first extension.

19 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

I don't think it was anything about conditioning, I think we had the luxury of having as good a defensive catcher on the roster who they don't have long future odds on like they do Adley.  The fact that he was still in almost every game and placed in a leadoff or second batting position shows the value the club holds for him.  Saving his knees by not placing him at C everyday is smart.

As to his value over Gunnar.  Love Gunnar, but Adley is in every play.  The catcher is the General.  If we don't extend him this year it should be next year.  Adley IS the face - for now - he deserves the first extension.

I agree that as the centerpiece that set the end of rebuilding in motion he could be extended first. But I don’t see doing a large or exceptionally long deal. That money would be better used on Gunnar. 

Getting him done first is probably psychologically important. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I agree that as the centerpiece that set the end of rebuilding in motion he could be extended first. But I don’t see doing a large or exceptionally long deal. That money would be better used on Gunnar. 

Getting him done first is probably psychologically important. 

Exactly.  Psychologically.  It doesn't have to be a 10-20 year blockbuster, but it needs to be the first commitment.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I find it hysterical that you don’t think that one of the best players in MLB and a former D-1 football player is an “elite athlete.” Compared to who, the Olympic decathlon champion?

But in any event, it’s irrelevant to me whether Gunnar is the more “elite athlete.”  I only care who is the better baseball player.   And even there, I’m not sure I care too much, because we have both players!  And I’m drooling over that.    I don’t think either player has reached his peak yet.  Does Gunnar have the higher potential peak?  Maybe.  I think they’ll both be regular top 5 MVP candidates during their time with the Orioles.  Who says there has to be only one “face of the franchise?”  That’s some dumb construct somebody made up.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

I find it hysterical that you don’t think that one of the best players in MLB and a former D-1 football player is an “elite athlete.” Compared to who, the Olympic decathlon champion?

But in any event, it’s irrelevant to me whether Gunnar is the more “elite athlete.”  I only care who is the better baseball player.   And even there, I’m not sure I care too much, because we have both players!  And I’m drooling over that.    I don’t think either player has reached his peak yet.  Does Gunnar have the higher potential peak?  Maybe.  I think they’ll both be regular top 5 MVP candidates during their time with the Orioles.  Who says there has to be only one “face of the franchise?”  That’s some dumb construct somebody made up.  

Adley just isn't on par with the dudes at OOO's gym, bro.

On 10/14/2023 at 10:41 AM, dystopia said:

Adley's the face of the franchise now so I feel like he's going to get analyzed to death. 

Not only that, but with Gunnar's somewhat unexpected and meteoric rise and Jackson Holliday knocking on the door, along with Adley's own success, Adley's expectations have increased.

Dude's floor for expectation has been set at 5.0 WAR.

• Upvote 1