Thinking about cutting the cable cord, but...

drjohnnyfever1

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ho do you watch Redzone? Is that an online option?

With the quick look I took on Friday about what I already have and what streaming services offer, RedZone was one that I think was only available in TV packages like Xfinity, Fios, Dish, etc.  But all of the different sport channels themselves, NFL, MLB, etc were available via streaming with Hulu or ESPN, I think.  I'll have to look it up again.

I started a bit of a cross-reference sheet - as old guys sometimes do :) - to try to maximize the packages and minimize the overlap.  I'm not saying it isn't available on a streamer, I just can't remember seeing it.

I'm almost sure it is on the Directv Streaming in one of their packages.  They are really intriguing because they charge you the monthly fee but there is only one piece of equipment to rent and that's in the price.  You plug that into your router and then utilize your smart tv's or sticks to pick that up on your other locations.  I might wind up going that way because it delivers essentially everything I have now without having to put up an antenna for local stations, but no rental fees on tv boxes like I do now.  The only thing that didn't have was the NHL Network, which only came in at the top-tier. 

The last few posts have me thinking that I'm likely to do the Directv Streaming because then I don't need an antenna or figure all of that out, but I can still keep most of the set-up I have w/o having to upset the apple cart too much.

3 hours ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

With the quick look I took on Friday about what I already have and what streaming services offer, RedZone was one that I think was only available in TV packages like Xfinity, Fios, Dish, etc.  But all of the different sport channels themselves, NFL, MLB, etc were available via streaming with Hulu or ESPN, I think.  I'll have to look it up again.

I started a bit of a cross-reference sheet - as old guys sometimes do :) - to try to maximize the packages and minimize the overlap.  I'm not saying it isn't available on a streamer, I just can't remember seeing it.

I'm almost sure it is on the Directv Streaming in one of their packages.  They are really intriguing because they charge you the monthly fee but there is only one piece of equipment to rent and that's in the price.  You plug that into your router and then utilize your smart tv's or sticks to pick that up on your other locations.  I might wind up going that way because it delivers essentially everything I have now without having to put up an antenna for local stations, but no rental fees on tv boxes like I do now.  The only thing that didn't have was the NHL Network, which only came in at the top-tier. 

The last few posts have me thinking that I'm likely to do the Directv Streaming because then I don't need an antenna or figure all of that out, but I can still keep most of the set-up I have w/o having to upset the apple cart too much.

I found it in You Tube TV as an option channel.

I've been without cable for almost a decade now.  

In 2014 I did MLB.TV with a VPN.  I haven't felt compelled to do that since, and mainly just catch the games on the radio.  

VPN is likely the best way to do it these days.  

It still stinks that they don't air a weekly game on local TV like they did up until 2018.  

• Upvote 1

Here's my deal. I switched from Xfinity, which I liked but their yearly rate increases were killing me. I went to Fios, their rock bottom, slowest, bare minimum home phone, tv and wifi internet service, with a small fee for a "sports" package that includes Fox Sports and ESPN1 and the NFL network. I got to choose 5 optional channels, and one of the ones I chose was MASN. It is $186 a month, and the selling point was that this price will never change.

I can get MASN on the tv, but not directly on the internet at the Verizon Fios site. I have to go to masnsports web site, click on streaming. Then a page of internet provider names, like Verizon, Xfinity and Cox appear. You click on your provider, log on, then click on whether you want MASN 1 or MASN 2, and voila, the O's game is on the internet. As I have both internet and tv with Fios I have no idea if you can get it just for the streaming cost, but I would assume you can. And that should be, I expect, less than $186 a month.

Funny thing is, when I got the package over the phone the salesman told me I would have to go wifi, which I didn't want because it is unreliable (it's dropped out a few times over the months just to prove me point to me), but it was mandatory, so I got it. The installer guys showed up, and promptly told me that, no, I could have been connected via cable and that, yes, cable gives a faster, more reliable service than wifi. So, there you have it. So now I have wifi, so that I can connect with the tablet and laptop that I don't own. 

On 10/30/2023 at 4:40 PM, Tony-OH said:

Ho do you watch Redzone? Is that an online option?

Redzone is included in NFL+ which costs $16 per month.   With NFL+ you also get NFL Network and live local games that air in your area on any channel.   So, you get ESPN's MNF game without having ESPN.   NBC's SNF without having NBC, etc..  You also can watch any game via replay 90 minutes after it finishes.   That is how I watched the Colts/Ravens game this year as it wasn't shown in my local area.  They do a pretty good job on NFL.com of blocking the scores if you choose that as an option.   The only downside is I have to watch live games on my tablet.  They don't show live games on the NFL app through my TV due to some contractual reasons.   This is how I NFL.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, crowmst3k! said:

I've been without cable for almost a decade now.  

In 2014 I did MLB.TV with a VPN.  I haven't felt compelled to do that since, and mainly just catch the games on the radio.  

VPN is likely the best way to do it these days.  

It still stinks that they don't air a weekly game on local TV like they did up until 2018.  

Yeah, I sort of surprised that there isn't an over the air Digital channel from WBAL or WJZ that pays a fee to simulcast MASN. 

But the search continues.  I'm almost sold on the Direct TV Stream, but I'm still trying to juggle the expectations of the kids for the streaming networks and the DTVStreaming cuts into my potential savings a bit more than I'd like.