O's DFA Krehbiel, claim OF Sam Hilliard

interloper

3 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

He’s 29 yoa, but very athletic. Probably will be DFA’d, but maybe there is a mechanical fix they see ala O’Hearn. It may be something as simple as hand positioning/bat angle at load. I admit I knew nothing about him until today. 

He reminds of Luke Raley from TB. TB used Raley in CF late last season when Siri was hurt. Similar tall Lefties that can play CF. Hilliard seems to have a better arm, more speed, but less contact. He’s similar to O’Hearn in that the shift seems to have affected him a lot. Last year was his first year with no shift, but he was also playing on an insanely stacked Braves team. He also had a heel injury last year.

If Hicks doesn’t come back then I could see a world where Hilliard, and McKenna, are our reserve OF to start the season. With Hilliard being more of the replacement for Hicks. If anything I see us looking for a RH option OF/CF to replace McKenna. Maybe we revisit the Dylan Carlson rumors?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RZNJ said:

BRef has this guy listed at 6’5 236!   In 717 career plate appearances 32 homers and 242 K’s.   That’s over 33% by my math.   19 stolen bases and only one caught stealing.   

Baseball savant has his arm strength at 75% and his sprint speed at 90%.  Average exit velo at 92.4.

Big toolsy OF with power, speed, and a ton of swing and miss.

Definitely a toolsy guy with some big time swing and miss issues. Looks like a classic 4th outfielder type who can help a team in several ways, but is not a guy you want to run out there every game. 

Looks like a pretty good defensive center fielder with this being his top rated catch last year (3-star) https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=b744b0a7-f49a-4d7a-bd96-288e70f71879.

He doesn't have huge platoon differences either so in theory, he could still play against tough lefties if they want to rest Mullins. Of course this assumes Hicks is not on the roster since that should be his role if he's back.

He honestly seems to brings more game to the table than Ryan McKenna.

• Upvote 2