Joey Ortiz for 3B?

RZNJ

36 minutes ago, oriole said:

Sorry, I thought it was clear I was talking about 2B/SS/3B/Utility

Mountcastle/O’Hearn platoon at 1B is solid enough for me

I'd like to see Mountcastle lock down 1B next season. O'Hearn was an excellent story last season, but my expectations are not high for him in 2024.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I have been projecting Ortiz to begin the season as the O's  3B.   

Ortiz 3B, Gunnar SS,  Westburg 2B.    Mateo stays for  his  speed.    Urias is traded.

When Holliday is ready he plays 2B.   Whoever is playing the best from Ortiz/Westburg  plays 3B.   The other is optioned.    

If this scenario plays out and Jackson starts the year in AAA, I think the most likely scenario when he is ready is Mateo DFA or traded.  Assuming the rest are holding their own.

1 hour ago, owknows said:

Trade: Mateo, Urias, O'Hearn

Play: Westburg, Henderson, Holliday, Ortiz (U).... with a Mayo/Mountcastle Platoon at 1st.

You're gonna have to bite the bullet and promote these guys... let's get on with it.

I would say this is unrealistic.   If Mayo or Mountcastle platoon with anyone it wouldn’t be with each other.  Pretty sure Mayo and Holliday get the Henderson treatment.  When they come up it’s to play virtually every day.

4 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Can Mayo be moved to RF? Has he had any reps there in the minors?

Mayo has never played in the outfield professionally, but I would not be against him giving it a shot at some point. He improved last year defensively at 3B and I think while he'll be a little below average overall there initially, he will be fine at 3B.

I'd rather see him open 2024 at 3B than Ortiz. Ortiz's main value is that he can play all three infield positions very well. He moves side to side very well and his quick release overcomes a slightly below average major league SS arm. He'd be a plus-plus, gold glove caliber defender at 2B. At 3B, he probably could be as good or better than Urias but doesn't have a ton of experience there. I do think his bat will be better than Urias overall, but his pull power will be negated a bit in Camden Yards.

I think Ortiz is a top trade chip or could end up as a super utility still getting 4 starts a week and coming in late in games for defense at 3B if Mayo is playing there. 

Lots of interesting ways Elias can go this offseason but what he shouldn't do is bury Ortiz back in AAA again. He needs to be on the opening day roster or traded for impact pitching or even potentially for an impact MOO that they don't currently have.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1