Outfield Surplus?

wildcard

52 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The Orioles just picked up another outfielder off waivers and DFA'd Joey Krehbiel off the 40 man roster. I wonder if this suggests that they are going to non-tender Ryan McKenna?

If I was McKenna, I wouldn't sign any long term leases.  Might want to check U-Haul for truck availability. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I don't believe we have good OF depth at all for one simple reason: defense.

Who in our depth can play defense like Hays or Mullins? Nobody that can hit a lick. Cowser has an argument, but his defense wasn't good last year in Baltimore and his hitting is a major question.

Do people here not realize that Elias is building an athletic team that plays plus defense yet? It's why Norby is down the list of infielders. It's why he kept Mateo and Urias. It's also why it's really hard to move on from Hays and Mullins.

I think we can handle one solid-average outfielder. Our depth is full of those guys, which means we don't really have depth yet. Let's hope Beavers stays hot as a prospect. If so, he might fit in the second half or maybe September.

I have a hard time seeing the O's moving on from Mullins this offseason, Hays not so much.  I think 2023 might have been Hays peak season of his career.  I hope for him it's not.  Hays as much as I like him is a ,750 ish OPS outfielder who struggles to stay healthy and will struggle to maintain an OBP over .300.  Hays' bat will be a lot easier to replace than Santander's.  This will be a test to see whether Elias offense or defense in a vacuum. 

12 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I have a hard time seeing the O's moving on from Mullins this offseason, Hays not so much.  I think 2023 might have been Hays peak season of his career.  I hope for him it's not.  Hays as much as I like him is a ,750 ish OPS outfielder who struggles to stay healthy and will struggle to maintain an OBP over .300.  Hays' bat will be a lot easier to replace than Santander's.  This will be a test to see whether Elias offense or defense in a vacuum. 

I can see them moving on from Hays. I do not see them moving on from Hays with an internal option. 

I can see them moving on from Santander with an internal option.

I do not see them moving on from Mullins unless they make a substantial external acquisition.

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I can see them moving on from Hays. I do not see them moving on from Hays with an internal option. 

I can see them moving on from Santander with an internal option.

I do not see them moving on from Mullins unless they make a substantial external acquisition.

I think there is a solid chance that a placeholder for Hays is the O's big offseason position player "upgrade".  Elias seems to like to hedge his bets, see Odor/Frazier.  I would rather the O's just resign Hicks and let the rookies sink or swim.

Here is some more discussion about a deal with Mariners. 

https://fansided.com/posts/mlb-rumors-ohtani-market-growing-red-sox-ace-hunting-mariners-orioles-trade-buzz

Miller would be an interesting get. The trade simulator values Hays quite a bit over Santander based I assume on the extra year of control. 
But, Santander/Hays , Norby , and a lesser prospect is probably pretty close.

Edited by Roll Tide

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

https://fansided.com/posts/mlb-rumors-ohtani-market-growing-red-sox-ace-hunting-mariners-orioles-trade-buzz

Miller would be an interesting get. The trade simulator values Hays quite a bit over Santander based I assume on the extra year of control. 

I’d be ecstatic to get one of those young Seattle starters using Santander or Hays as a main piece. If we can get one of those guys and keep our best prospects, that’s a major win for us…and then you can use those prospects for something else, like a MOO bat.

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Miller would probably be about as good as any SP the O's are likely to sign in free agency.  Would definitely be interested in this trade.  How would he compare to Kremer?

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Why in the world would the Mariner's trade a young arm like Miller? It makes absolutely no sense. This is just a supposed "insider" throwing sh*t at the  wall and seeing what sticks for some online clicks with no real sources or substance behind his article/suggestion. It's really amazing how bad some of these people are at their jobs. I mean, Miller's penciled in as the Mariner's 4th starter next year for god's sake and all of his possible replacements ((Hancock, Gonzalez, Ray) are injured. Just sloppy journalism. 

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d be ecstatic to get one of those young Seattle starters using Santander or Hays as a main piece. If we can get one of those guys and keep our best prospects, that’s a major win for us…and then you can use those prospects for something else, like a MOO bat.

Of course you would, because it's a completely unrealistic trade scenario that isn't even worth discussing. 1) The Mariner's aren't trading any of their young arms 2) Even if they were it certainly wouldn't be for a package centered around Santander or Hays.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Which makes that trade proposal very unrealistic. 

Seattle is also looking to win now, so I definitely could see them valuing a ML hitter in return.

I like Woo a lot. I also like Miller. Let’s not pretend either has done big things in the majors yet though and neither is/was viewed as some kind of can’t miss prospect.

Santander and Norby could easily be viewed as an overpay. Now I would do it due to our situation as a whole but acting as if that is some kind of an insulting offer is ludicrous.

Now, Seattle certainly could prefer a young cost controlled guy like Cowser but they may not want the unknown. They may want the known. We don’t really know.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Miller would probably be about as good as any SP the O's are likely to sign in free agency.  Would definitely be interested in this trade.  How would he compare to Kremer?

Hopefully you get some upward movement and a 3.5-3.75 ERA over 150-160 innings with his current high being 130.

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

Why in the world would the Mariner's trade a young arm like Miller? It makes absolutely no sense. This is just a supposed "insider" throwing sh*t at the  wall and seeing what sticks for some online clicks with no real sources or substance behind his article/suggestion. It's really amazing how bad some of these people are at their jobs. I mean, Miller's penciled in as the Mariner's 4th starter next year for god's sake and all of his possible replacements ((Hancock, Gonzalez, Ray) are injured. Just sloppy journalism. 

Because they are a competitive team with a weak offense.  Plus they have 7 SP options ready (plus Ray).  The #5 guy doesn't have to be a stud.  So it makes sense to speculate Miller or Hancock (or even Woo).

If I were the Seattle GM, I'd sign an OF type FA and hold off on a trade until they have a better idea of Ray's progress.  So maybe more involved at the trade deadline.  

FWIW - Hancock's injury was said to be a grade-1 strain.  It doesn't seem like an issue.  He's got more upside than Miller IMO.