Melewski suggests Sonny Gray

Sports Guy

Good fit.  Affordable.  Sign me up.

Based on 2023 payroll numbers, a $20 million bump moves the O's from 29 to 26.  A $25 million bump moves them to 23-24 in the MLB.  It is time to stop acting as if they will stay in the bottom 2-3 teams when it comes to payroll.  Bottom 10 for 2024?  Sure.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I like Gray if John can open the checkbook. He is probably the cheapest of guys that could be considered TOR. I'd rather overpay for two years than do three years at lower AAV. 

Tough choices.  $20 million per year (or more) for Gray or $20 million into John Angelos' pocket, while continuing to complain about the high cost of signing free agents and extending players under control.  I expect only a minimal increase in payroll this offseason to about $80 million and cutting or trading expensive veterans.  I hope I'm wrong.

I am fine with Gray but.....   I don't see the O's going 3/65 for a pitcher.

I would think 2 years and  an option is about as far as they will go. 2/32 would be in the ball park.

Guys like Seth Lugo, Michael Wacha, Michael Lorenzen.

Or the O's trade for a starter.

Or the O's end up putting Tyler Wells back in the rotation and add a couple of relievers.

10 hours ago, 24fps said:

Good fit.  Affordable.  Sign me up.

Based on 2023 payroll numbers, a $20 million bump moves the O's from 29 to 26.  A $25 million bump moves them to 23-24 in the MLB.  It is time to stop acting as if they will stay in the bottom 2-3 teams when it comes to payroll.  Bottom 10 for 2024?  Sure.

This off-season is a litmus test for ownership, and Elias' ability to spend. I'm not expecting them to break the bank for anyone, but they absolutely need to attempt to make meaningful additions to this team. Whether or not they choose well in Free Agency is one thing, but IMO Elias/Angelos absolutely need to take a swing at it this winter. That said, Gray, or someone around that pay-grade would suffice. I would be very happy with Gray, or if I'm really dreaming, Montgomery.

• Upvote 2

I’m surprised Steve was allowed to write that article. I’m sure they’ll “make an offer that was close.”

Of course, this is the worst line of them all for a team with no payroll commitments, because nobody outside of Ohtani should be out of our range: Pitchers that could be out of the Orioles' reach and/or comfort level and be in line for at least $100 million or close, per that article, are Blake Snell, Yoshinobu Yamamoto, Aaron Nola, Jordan Montgomery and Eduardo Rodriguez.

17 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’m surprised Steve was allowed to write that article. I’m sure they’ll “make an offer that was close.”

Of course, this is the worst line of them all for a team with no payroll commitments, because nobody outside of Ohtani should be out of our range: Pitchers that could be out of the Orioles' reach and/or comfort level and be in line for at least $100 million or close, per that article, are Blake Snell, Yoshinobu Yamamoto, Aaron Nola, Jordan Montgomery and Eduardo Rodriguez.

To be fair, giving any of these guys 4+ year deals is probably stupid. I’m good with them not doing that. 

I agree with the point you are making but philosophically, I’m not for 5 year or longer deals for pitchers and I really don’t even want to go 4 although I would in certain cases.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

To be fair, giving any of these guys 4+ year deals is probably stupid. I’m good with them not doing that. 

I agree with the point you are making but philosophically, I’m not for 5 year or longer deals for pitchers and I really don’t even want to go 4 although I would in certain cases.

Generally I agree about long term pitching contracts. However, I’d consider it for someone like Yamamoto and maybe Nola. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would do Yama. Yama Bradish Grayson could win us a couple WS titles. Of course JA will never do that. Strike one is cost, strike two is posting fee. 

2 hours ago, backwardsk said:

I read earlier in the season that Gray was considering retirement soon and would likely only sign a short term deal. Baltimore would be a really good fit. 

That makes me feel super old.  I remember in Gray’s rookie year @Roy Firestoneposted a thread saying what a promising young pitcher Gray was and how the Orioles should be worried about facing him.  Then he came into town and we lit him up!   Feels like that was just a few years ago, but it was back in 2013 already.  

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I assume you aren’t referring to Yamamoto who is 25 vs the others. 

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That makes me feel super old.  I remember in Gray’s rookie year @Roy Firestoneposted a thread saying what a promising young pitcher Gray was and how the Orioles should be worried about facing him.  Then he came into town and we lit him up!   Feels like that was just a few years ago, but it was back in 2013 already.  

Don't think of it as getting old, think of it as your 2nd childhood.