Would you trade Cowser and Ortiz for Cease

RZNJ

Trade Scenario  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Cowser and Ortiz for Cease?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/23 at 02:25

I don’t know.

My initial thought is no but there are some unknowns.

1) what else could those 2 bring us?

2) Do the Orioles feel like there is more to Cease than he has shown for most of his career?

I think my answer would be if Elias does it, I trust the trade. I say that because I think that would answer the 2 questions I just laid out. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, clapdiddy said:

I don't think that gets a deal done, but I would do it.   I think Elias would still need to include another fairly significant prospect.   

I don't think that gets a deal done, but I would do it.   I think Elias would still need to include another fairly significant prospect.   

I am not disagreeing.  It might not get it done.  However, I think MLB and BA both have Cowser as a top 20 overall prospect and Ortiz in the top 100.   That’s a pretty good haul.

If that deal doesn’t get it done, I don’t think the WS are trading him. 

I follow a lot of various prospect guys, some known and some not as mainstream and I see many guys that have Cowser in the top 30 prospects. Most mainstream guys have him top 50 (if they don’t “penalize” him for debuting in 2023).

Thats a very good headline prospect and then Ortiz is a top 100 guy too.  Both are ML ready players who should step right in and give you league average and perhaps much better than that production from day 1.

Thats a lot for 2 years of a pitcher with control issues that has one standout year out of 5.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No. I just don’t think Cease is that good. I can see that he’s got a lot of upside but it’s a gamble on whether or not the analytics department and coaching staff can turn him into something special. 

But if the Os made this trade, wouldn’t you think that they believe they can do just this?

Of course it doesn’t mean it definitely will happen and perhaps that’s why you say no but I do think this regime would deserve the benefit of the doubt.

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But if the Os made this trade, wouldn’t you think that they believe they can do just this?

Of course it doesn’t mean it definitely will happen and perhaps that’s why you say no but I do think this regime would deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, I’d hope that they think they could do that.  And the regime has done well, so they deserve some benefit of the doubt, I agree. 

I wouldn’t be vehemently against this trade, btw.