Would you trade Cowser and Ortiz for Cease

RZNJ

Trade Scenario  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Cowser and Ortiz for Cease?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/23 at 02:25

If we can get both Robert and Cease, I'd do pretty much whatever package outside Holliday. Robert crushes lefties which will be helpful in the middle of our order stacked around lefties and switch hitters. What would that take?

Cowser/Basallo/Ortiz/Povich/Arias?

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I was a no in both.  Yes, it would be curious to know what changed some people’s minds in the last 3 weeks.

My guess is, typical increasing angst about whether we will acquire an above average starter at all this winter.   Only a couple of options are off the board, but that’s enough to get people nervous that all the good options will disappear.  Just wait until the end of next week!

Just now, Frobby said:

My guess is, typical increasing angst about whether we will acquire an above average starter at all this winter.   Only a couple of options are off the board, but that’s enough to get people nervous that all the good options will disappear.  Just wait until the end of next week!

Well, I was wrong last winter so I’ll take another shot now.  I can’t find the interview but Elias recently alluded to getting caught putting all his eggs in one basket last year and then being left out in the cold when that didn’t work out.  In not so many words he said he might jump on the first good deal rather than waiting around for someone a little more preferable to make a decision.  

If the White Sox really want to wait until all of the major FA pitchers sign, I don’t think Elias is going to play that game.   I think we have a new starter and back end reliever before Christmas.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, I was wrong last winter so I’ll take another shot now.  I can’t find the interview but Elias recently alluded to getting caught putting all his eggs in one basket last year and then being left out in the cold when that didn’t work out.  In not so many words he said he might jump on the first good deal rather than waiting around for someone a little more preferable to make a decision.  

If the White Sox really want to wait until all of the major FA pitchers sign, I don’t think Elias is going to play that game.   I think we have a new starter and back end reliever before Christmas.

Wouldn’t be a bad strategy by the Sox IMO.  Worked pretty well when Andy McPhail spent all winter haggling over Bedard (traded Feb. 8).   

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Good to see that a majority of this board is level headed. Cease is really getting built up into something he’s not. Best of luck to him but the price is way too high for my interest. 

This poll is from early November.  Check Frobby’s from today.  You won’t be as impressed.  It’s about 65-70% in favor of the trade.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

This poll is from early November.  Check Frobby’s from today.  You won’t be as impressed.  It’s about 65-70% in favor of the trade.

I thought I voted in one earlier today and it didn’t have a favorable result. I just assumed more people chimed in with my opinion. It seems like maybe the trade frenzy around MLB is causing people to lose their sensibilities. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Also an increasing awareness of how expensive good, durable starting pitching is going to be coupled with an increasing awareness of the number of O's prospects genuinely ready for ML playing time.  At least for me.  Cease checks a lot of boxes and a good starting pitcher would clearly be beneficial to the O's.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Wouldn’t be a bad strategy by the Sox IMO.  Worked pretty well when Andy McPhail spent all winter haggling over Bedard (traded Feb. 8).   

If Elias is as smart as I think he is, he has several options already active and is determined to maintain the initiative in acquiring a SP.  Cease is a great fit IMO, but not worth waiting so long that the White Sox have all the leverage.

There's a level on which I'm almost agnostic what talent consolidation move Elias closes as long as he succeeds at one or two.

He has used 2 of Adley's 6 years, and in both cases I will speculate the franchise player feels the GM has under-invested in strong teams.

It may be sad for him if his 5th best friend goes away, but I think they all want good things for each other like playing time opportunities and slightly higher odds at dogpiles.

14 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

There's a level on which I'm almost agnostic what talent consolidation move Elias closes as long as he succeeds at one or two.

He has used 2 of Adley's 6 years, and in both cases I will speculate the franchise player feels the GM has under-invested in strong teams.

It may be sad for him if his 5th best friend goes away, but I think they all want good things for each other like playing time opportunities and slightly higher odds at dogpiles.

The Angels are in year 13 of Mike Trout.  Hopefully, Adley doesn’t feel like an 83 win, and 101 win division championship is wasting his best years.

3 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

I have no interest in having the Tides win another AAA title 

I don't either.   But I expect Ortiz and Cowser to help the Os this year,  and I don't think Cease is a sure enough of an upgrade to trade them both for him.   In the right deal I'd certainly let them both go as they certainly aren't untouchable.  But I think 2 of our top 6 prospects is too steep a price for Cease.