Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was just commenting on the comment from Sportsguy.

I think he was understating what the Yankees had to offer.

Not really.,they aren’t trading Dominguez. Almost 25 y/o players are heading up any deals.

The Yankees prospects are always overhyped. If the WS want a bunch of overhyped guys, so be it.

They have some pieces that could be in that 2-4 range in a prospect but nothing that truly leads a package.  Trading with the Yankees would be a quantity over quality package and maybe they are ok with that.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Not really.,they aren’t trading Dominguez. Almost 25 y/o players are heading up any deals.

The Yankees prospects are always overhyped. If the WS want a bunch of overhyped guys, so be it.

They have some pieces that could be in that 2-4 range in a prospect but nothing that truly leads a package.  Trading with the Yankees would be a quantity over quality package and maybe they are ok with that.  

Well you’ve got them all in a tizzy over there on their board today lol. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Cool …. I think they could outbid us with what Elias is willing to make available was my only point.

If you are right that Elias wouldn’t give up Kjerstad or Cowser, then I agree with you.  I’m not a mind reader and I have no idea what Elias is willing to give up.  

The more I think about it, the less likely a deal for Cease seems.

I just think Elias is extremely unlikely to part with any of the top 5 picks he tanked so hard to acquire (so no Cowser or Kjerstad), or the other elite prospects like Mayo and Basallo, and I don't think Chicago will take a larger package of lesser (but still good) prospects like Ortiz, Beavers, and Norby.

I think one of the teams that are ostensibly trying to compete in 2024 that need offense and have pitching to trade like Miami or Cleveland might be a better fit for the O's since they might be interested in Santander, Mountcastle, or Hays as part of their return, which would lessen the prospect cost to some degree.

8 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The more I think about it, the less likely a deal for Cease seems.

I just think Elias is extremely unlikely to part with any of the top 5 picks he tanked so hard to acquire (so no Cowser or Kjerstad), or the other elite prospects like Mayo and Basallo, and I don't think Chicago will take a larger package of lesser (but still good) prospects like Ortiz, Beavers, and Norby.

I think one of the teams that are ostensibly trying to compete in 2024 that need offense and have pitching to trade like Miami or Cleveland might be a better fit for the O's since they might be interested in Santander, Mountcastle, or Hays as part of their return, which would lessen the prospect cost to some degree.

The first half of this seems reasonable to me. Getz and Elias very well may both be stubborn and dug in.

The second part - I hope you’re right. I just have a hard time thinking our vets will command enough to part with at the end of the day. Definitely the ideal scenario though to part with expiring control vets and mid tier prospects.

Edited by ThisIsBirdland

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

If the Yankees are actually willing to part with what it would take to trade for Cease then they are also "involved" in the rest of the pitcher trades (real and imagined) that have been discussed here - Valdez, Luzardo, etc... I don't think there is anything like a pitching bargain to be found anymore, so this news (if it is news) shouldn't alter much. 

Watchword of this and every offseason going forward:  There are no starting pitcher bargains.

If the Yankees outbid us for Cease, then does that lower the market demands for the remaining supply of pitchers?  Or does it increase it?  How many other teams are willing to pay prospect costs for a TORish SP?  CIN, CHC, NYM?, LAD? TBR?, KC?, SDP

12 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

The first half of this seems reasonable to me. Getz and Elias very well may both be stubborn and dug in.

The second part - I hope you’re right. I just have a hard time thinking our vets will command enough to part with at the end of the day. Definitely the ideal scenario though to part with expiring control vets and mid tier prospects.

The end result could easily be that many fans are left unimpressed with our "big" SP acquisition because it isn't a big name like Cease, i.e. Edward Cabrera or Trevor Rogers for Santander, Ortiz, Stowers, and a Domincan lottery ticket pitcher that they like.

• Upvote 1

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would think that Atl is out on Cease w/ the trade for Sale.  There's a good chance that Cinncinnati has moved on with their signing of Montas.  Now might be the best time for the O's to make their best offer.  WS can either accept or the O's can move on to other options.

But the Sale trade may make Boston more viable.

It’s amusing to see SG and our ambassador to Chicago, Frobby, posting on the WS board.  The WS board is taking the lack of a deal and talks of certain off limits prospects very personally.   Continued insults of Elias, broad generalizations of OH posters, and hopes that we either miss the playoffs or get bounced in the first round if we don’t give them what they want for Cease.   Sad.

Just now, RZNJ said:

It’s amusing to see SG and our ambassador to Chicago, Frobby, posting on the WS board.  The WS board is taking the lack of a deal and talks of certain off limits prospects very personally.   Continued insults of Elias, broad generalizations of OH posters, and hopes that we either miss the playoffs or get bounced in the first round if we don’t give them what they want for Cease.   Sad.

I think I’ve about run out of things to say over there unless and until there’s actually a concrete rumor about a deal, or an actual deal.  It’s not a bad board but there’s a few people over there who take it very personally that Elias isn’t falling all over himself to get Cease.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think I’ve about run out of things to say over there unless and until there’s actually a concrete rumor about a deal, or an actual deal.  It’s not a bad board but there’s a few people over there who take it very personally that Elias isn’t falling all over himself to get Cease.  

A few?  There’s only a few who don’t.  Lol

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Overall, the conversation is good but some are definitely taking things personally.