Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

If you’re not trading Povich then he might as well not be attempting to trade. I can understand protecting your top 5. But, you need to trade quality to get quality.

We have a ton of quality.  I don’t  see them trading pitching.  It’s what they need.  

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

We have a ton of quality.  I don’t  see them trading pitching.  It’s what they need.  

Teams want some young pitching in the return for their trade bait and many of the teams nibbling right now, like the Dodgers and Reds, have young pitching to offer.

If we are going to compete in the trade marketplace for a notable starter, it may require us to part with a Povich or McDermott. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Teams want some young pitching in the return for their trade bait and many of the teams nibbling right now, like the Dodgers and Reds, have young pitching to offer.

If we are going to compete in the trade marketplace for a notable starter, it may require us to part with a Povich or McDermott. 

I get that.  Just don’t see them doing it. 

I’m thinking Shane Bieber for one of our outfielders fits their goals/objectives. 

Edited by emmett16

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

There has been some recent reporting that the M's may need to cut payroll and therefore Castillo might actually be the SP that they end up shopping, and there is no way JA agrees to take on his remaining 4 year, ~$90 million guarantee and $25 million dollar vesting option.

I think Elias has some degree of payroll flexibility.  Maybe not $20m for one SP but permitting ourselves that hope:

When Frankie Montas signs for $16m and Giolito for $19m, Castillo for $20 per is a good deal over the next few years.

The SigBot might see that it splits the FA costs, prospect costs, and raises the floor/ceiling of the rotation.  I wonder if Westburg and Hays (or Mountcastle) and Shark gets it done?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I think that's probably right, but if Povich or McDermott can help us land a Luzardo type guy, who's a 26 year old TORish SP and has 3 years of control, I would hope that we would be willing to pull the trigger.

I think the service time piece is huge for ME.  I don’t see him giving 6 years of pitching for 2 is 1.  3 and it start to get intriguing.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even if they stay health neither Povich or McDermott is anything close to a lock to even have a six year MLB career.

Maybe not. But I’m sure it plays into their thinking.  I just don’t see them trading away players they identified and traded for.