Who are the 2023 Orioles #11 and #12 prospects?

Tony-OH

Who are the 2023 Orioles #11 and #12 prospects?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the 2023 Orioles #11 and #12 prospects?

• Fabian and Norby
    • Norby and Baumeister
    • Norby and Povich
    • Norby and Braylin Tavera
    • Povich and Norby

This poll is closed to new votes

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Maybe two years ago but not last year. Either way, if Tony has him in the conversation as a top 12 guy, that's pretty exciting. Because for me I would not have even thought about him this high. 

At this time last year, Basallo was ranked #11 here coming off an FCL season where his numbers were very similar to what Tavera did this year.  The big difference is that Basallo was 17 and Tavera 18.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

At this time last year, Basallo was ranked #11 here coming off an FCL season where his numbers were very similar to what Tavera did this year.  The big difference is that Basallo was 17 and Tavera 18.

And a C with a cannon.

On another note:  there's an opening for the Fabian Fan Club presidency!  

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah but Basallo was also a lot more touted as The One Big International Prospect. I just haven't heard that kind of hype about Tavera. Not having heard that is the only reason I went to look at his numbers in the first place. Otherwise, I usually buy the hype sight unseen if there's a consensus. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Yeah but Basallo was also a lot more touted as The One Big International Prospect. I just haven't heard that kind of hype about Tavera. Not having heard that is the only reason I went to look at his numbers in the first place. Otherwise, I usually buy the hype sight unseen if there's a consensus. 

That's probably because Basallo along with Maikol Hernandez was the first "big" international prospect signed under Elias.  Tavera actually got a $1.7MM signing bonus compared to Basallo's $1.3MM. 

12 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

And a C with a cannon.

On another note:  there's an opening for the Fabian Fan Club presidency!  

I haven’t given up on Fabian but also not interested in leading his fan club.  If he can solve the contact issues he can go places.

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

Tavera's first year with a .076 ISO and a .347 Babip-driven .243 AVG isn't awe-inspiring.  He was easy to lose him in the mix.  Especially with a ton of big hype guys that he's behind.  I didn't really follow him that much either other than the random comment here/there.  He'll be interesting to watch in 2024.  

Consider this our written warning!  :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I'm struggling to see why Tavera is included here at all. He certainly showed some promise last year as an 18-yo in the FCL with a .812 OPS. But it's hard to know what to even make of that combination of parameters. He didn't blow the doors off rookie ball or anything, but he didn't disappear off the map like so many other international guys did in the system. To me, that's a nice top 20 guy, but I don't think deserving of just missing the top 10. But of course I don't know much about him scouting-wise, I'm only looking at his line. 

He had almost as many BB as K and 13 SB in 107 AB. Now, I wouldn't be surprised to see him anywhere between 11-20, but I can see Tony betting on upside here.