Is Luzardo a realistic target?

Frobby

If we trade Santander, Mountcastle, or Hays as contemplated in many of these proposals, can we put out a credible lineup vs. left-handed pitching? Can we count on Mayo being ready to contribute right away?

Even with our current roster, we’ll need one of Westburg, O’Hearn, Cowser, Kjerstad, McCann, Urias, Stowers, Norby, McKenna, or Mateo to cover a COF/1B/DH spot against LHP, which isn’t ideal.

We were 14th in OPS last year, so it’s not like we have an excess of offense that we can sacrifice for pitching. We are also unlikely to be a very attractive landing spot for a RH platoon type looking for a 1-year FA deal.

50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Westburg wasn’t ranked that highly but that is largely irrelevant after he went to the majors and held his own. That supersedes prospect ranking.

I think he got all the way up to like #27 or #29 on MLB Pipeline prior to losing prospect eligibility, though that may have partially been due to guys ahead of him also "graduating."

Either way though, his draft pedigree, minor league performance, prospect evaluations, and solid debut definitely make him an incredibly attractive piece of trade bait, and the presence of Gunnar, Holliday, Mayo, Ortiz, and Norby makes him arguably our most obvious big time trade chip.

52 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I think this is one of the more reasonable, yet not too painful, trade scenarios I've seen laid out. Tough balance, but seems realistic enough.

Thanks, I felt like it needed to hurt at least a bit from an Orioles fan's perspective and also be something I would be pretty satisfied with if I was a Marlins fan, which I think that hypothetical deal accomplishes. 

I might even be willing to fold Baumann and the other pitching prospect into Povich if the bidding gets that intense.

4 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

If we trade Santander, Mountcastle, or Hays as contemplated in many of these proposals, can we put out a credible lineup vs. left-handed pitching? Can we count on Mayo being ready to contribute right away?

Even with our current roster, we’ll need one of Westburg, O’Hearn, Cowser, Kjerstad, McCann, Urias, Stowers, Norby, McKenna, or Mateo to cover a COF/1B/DH spot against LHP, which isn’t ideal.

We were 14th in OPS last year, so it’s not like we have an excess of offense that we can sacrifice for pitching. We are also unlikely to be a very attractive landing spot for a RH platoon type looking for a 1-year FA deal.

If the rotation has been clearly and meaningfully upgraded, I would probably be fine with playing McKenna or Mateo in LF against lefties to start the year and upgrading at the deadline if no one else steps up and takes the job. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Safelykept said:

Well then were basically on the same page, throw in Mateo or Urias and some other prospect outside the top 20. At one time he was ranked as 25, he hasn't picthed in a year and half because of TJ. He has as  big a pedigree as Cowser, He was drafted 3rd overall, 6 million signing bonus, 5 years of team control, If hes even available hes going to cost. How would we  value him if he was ours?    

We that was for Luzardo….Cowser would be my headliner. Maybe Cowser, Ortiz,plus 

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

I'm not sure how you can look at Meyer's 2021 numbers (see below) and not call them "eye popping good". And neither player (Meyer or Norby) have proven themselves at the ML level. In hindsight, maybe Norby for Meyer straight up is the trade to make. And if the Marlins want Santander too they can add in a lower level prospect on their end. 

Season Team LG Level W L ERA G GS CG SHO HLD SV SVO IP H R ER HR NP HB BB IBB SO AVG WHIP GO/AO
2021 2 teams - Minors 6 4 2.27 22 22 0 0 0 0 0 111.0 90 40 28 8 1638 3 42 0 130 .221 1.19 1.39

Why wouldn't you show his 2022 numbers with the 3.69 ERA in 13 minor league starts?

Does Santa and Westburg work for either team?  They could play Westburg at SS. I’m sure some will say that isn’t enough for Luzardo, but I also think Elias won’t subtract that much from the MLB team. 

My preference would be to get Cease since it wouldn’t take away from our current MLB roster. 

Ortiz, Irvin, Mateo, Baumann, and Pham plus cash for Luzardo. 

It lacks a true pitching prospect, perhaps. But the Marlins get their future SS in Ortiz, a ML SS in Mateo, a SP/swingman, a decent reliever with 5 more years of control, and a low level SP prospect. O's send a little cash to cover half of Mateo's $2.7 mil. 

Edited by interloper

58 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Given the facts that Morosi is the one that broke the "news" that Ohtani was en route to Toronto, that he specifically mentions CWS and MIA, and that Elias is known for secrecy and maintaining a no-leak office -- looks to me like a move with a different team (HOU?) might be in the offing.