Is Luzardo a realistic target?

Frobby

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Why wouldn't you show his 2022 numbers with the 3.69 ERA in 13 minor league starts?

You made a broad generalization that Meyer's minor league numbers weren't eye popping, which isn't true at all. He's had one eye popping season and one good season. I also find it pretty hysterical that you're using a season where he had a 3.69 ERA and sub 1.00 WHIP to try and sh*t on him. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

If they really want a bat and a SS, how about Santander plus Ortiz straight up. They get a bopper and a SS, we get a SP. Everyone's happy, even though we're crossing our fingers that Kjerstad can be Santander. 

Pete Bendix's probable reaction...

giphy.gif

27 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

You made a broad generalization that Meyer's minor league numbers weren't eye popping, which isn't true at all. He's had one eye popping season and one good season. I also find it pretty hysterical that you're using a season where he had a 3.69 ERA and sub 1.00 WHIP to try and sh*t on him. 

I’m not trying to dump on him. I said he was a good prospect who hasn’t done anything in the majors.  I would certainly think his AAA numbers from 2022 are more meaningful than his mostly AA numbers from 2021.   He had pretty solid peripherals in 2022 but only a 3.89 ERA in 12 AAA starts and ineffective in 2 ML starts before he went down.   

If Santander had two years remaining instead of Hays, then this would be realistic. I don’t think Hays moves the needle enough for them offensively for them to trade a TOR SP. They need help at the MLB level right now. We’d have to give them an offer that they couldn’t refuse, and if we were willing to do that then Cease would be here. 

As much as we say SSS, it matters as a potential tie breaker here. Cowser and Ortiz had terrible mlb debuts. Those are tough sells to fan bases as the the main components of a trade. 

We’d probably have to give up something like Santa, and one of Basallo/Mayo. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Personally I would prefer the Os go after either Luzardo or Valdez; both are leftys with a little more contract control. Plus, the Marlins and Orioles match up extremely well. Not sure what Houston would want for Valdez. 

Either of those two, or try and swing a trade with the Mariners for Miller or Woo.  Seattle is another organization where both teams match up very well

The Marlins could potentially swing a trade for Westburg, Mateo, or Ortiz, and an outfielder for Cabrera but it wouldn’t be a high profile outfielder unless the Marlins added another player to the trade. I could see a Cabrera and Patrick Monteverde trade for a shortstop and quality outfielder. That would provide the Orioles a starting pitcher and a minor league prospect arm as well for the future. The Orioles are the best trade partner for the Marlins but can Peter Bendix make a trade work for the Marlins long and short term benefits that the Orioles will agree to?

https://marlinmaniac.com/posts/miami-marlins-in-trade-conversations-with-orioles-and-2-pitchers-names-are-part-of-the-conversation-01hkc09wd2p8

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

All these Marlins rumors are making me regret that we didn't push harder for a Pablo Lopez trade last season. He had a helluva 2023 season and the extension he signed with the Twins ($18M per year) seems like a real bargain in hindsight. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Would love to get something done with Miami. They make the most sense of any team but if you aren’t getting Luzardo, you are taking on a risky pitcher in terms of someone who could help you in October.

Is James McCann one of the 30 best catchers in the world this year?

If so the market would be more efficient if he went to Miami to start.

The 2023 Marlins are also coming off a year using Joey Wendle as their primary shortstop.     He had a 47 wRC+ twenty points worse than Jorge Mateo.

What all does it take to get Tanner Scott back?

On 1/3/2024 at 8:07 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

If Santander had two years remaining instead of Hays, then this would be realistic. I don’t think Hays moves the needle enough for them offensively for them to trade a TOR SP. They need help at the MLB level right now. We’d have to give them an offer that they couldn’t refuse, and if we were willing to do that then Cease would be here. 

As much as we say SSS, it matters as a potential tie breaker here. Cowser and Ortiz had terrible mlb debuts. Those are tough sells to fan bases as the the main components of a trade. 

We’d probably have to give up something like Santa, and one of Basallo/Mayo. 

Ortiz had around 30 ABs playing once per week. In addition to being a SSS, who could expect anything under the circumstances.

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Ortiz had around 30 ABs playing once per week. In addition to being a SSS, who could expect anything under the circumstances.

Just what I was thinking. I don't think his tenure in Baltimore showed or proved anything.