Craig Kimbrel - Signing

E-D-D-I-E

15 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

A lot better. I can't lie, that's my biggest complaint about him. Otherwise, it's a perfectly reasonable move for a team without a backend guy that has playoff expectations.

My thoughts exactly. I want to throw up just thinking about it. Are they going to sign “big papi” next? He strikes me as a super d bag but maybe he is a good guy and his pre pitch semantics are only so bothersome because he was a red sock. Then again,I still hate it. 

6 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

Just live on the interest at today's rates and you'd have somewhere around $250,000 per year to live on -- and you wouldn't have spent any of the original $5 million.  

Of course, that $250,000 per year will be worth about $50,000 in today’s money in couple of decades.   

I remember my dad telling me that when he was in law school (early 1950s) he and his friends agreed that if someone guaranteed them $10,000 a year for life, they’d be set.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of course, that $250,000 per year will be worth about $50,000 in today’s money in couple of decades.   

And... today's interest rates will not be here forever. I can earn 5% practically risk free in a CD, but in 2-3 years I have to renew it at who-knows-what rate. 

4 hours ago, Jagwar said:

And... today's interest rates will not be here forever. I can earn 5% practically risk free in a CD, but in 2-3 years I have to renew it at who-knows-what rate. 

Aren’t CDs what really really really old people put money into? You could just be a hard money lender and your money is backed by real estate and you are earning 10-12%. 

Kimbrel  has the 8th most career saves in MLB history.   417.   Three behind Kenley Jansen's 420 which  is the most by any active pitcher.    

If Kimbrel gets 25 saves this year to 442 he will pass:

Billy Wagner 422

John Franco 424

Francisco Rodriguez (KRod).  437

That would leave Kimbrel 4th or 5th on the all time list depending on what Jansen does.  

https://www.espn.com/mlb/history/leaders/_/type/pitching/sort/saves

Edited by wildcard

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I remember my dad telling me that when he was in law school (early 1950s) he and his friends agreed that if someone guaranteed them $10,000 a year for life, they’d be set.

I remember having this conversation with my Dad numerous times:

"Dad, can I have a raise in my allowance?"

"You get plenty.  Do you know what I used to do with 50 cents when I was your age?  I would take the bus to town, buy a hamburger and a Coke, go to the movies, buy a pack of Necco Wafers, take the bus back home and have 4 cents left over."

"OK, Dad.  Can I have enough to do that?"

"Go out and play."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Maybe not in a couple of decades but in several decades, yes.  I wasn't actually suggesting a young person should actually live on interest, or some other investment return, without trying to gain more income.

Asked Google why Craig Kimbrel does that pose and I found this interesting piece of journalism...

"Craig didn’t always strike his signature pitching pose, though. It actually came about as a result of a 2010 injury. Before that, he would hold his arm behind his back (as most pitchers tend to do), but that became too painful when he experienced biceps tendinitis — an inflammation of the upper biceps tendon. He started holding his arm out to the side instead, and the pose sort of progressed from there."

https://www.distractify.com/p/why-does-kimbrel-pose-like-that

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sevastras said:

Aren’t CDs what really really really old people put money into? You could just be a hard money lender and your money is backed by real estate and you are earning 10-12%. 

At today's high interest rates CDs or some other kind of "cash" investment are not just for old people.  A lot of investors have moved a big chunk of their money into high interest accounts or bonds or something similar.  Of course interest rates will fall eventually.  Real estate is no longer a no brainer investment with property so overvalued and high interest rates preventing property investors from borrowing at reasonable rates.  And commercial real estate is expected to be the next big economic meltdown, mainly for big investors and banks exposed to half empty office buildings.  

Per Heyman/MLB Trade Rumors:

Kimbrel can increase the value of the buyout based on game and games finished in 2024, per Jon Heyman of The New York Post. It will be an extra $100K for pitching in 35, 40, 45, 50 and 55 games, as well as another $100K for finishing the same amounts. If Kimbrel were to max out all of those, the buyout would jump to $2MM.

Heyman on X

MLB Trade Rumors

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

If invested in a mix of stocks and bonds, an individual with a 60 year life expectancy would have a Safe Withdrawal Rate of around $175,000, which would adjust for inflation over time. https://earlyretirementnow.com/2016/12/07/the-ultimate-guide-to-safe-withdrawal-rates-part-1-intro/