Craig Kimbrel - Signing

E-D-D-I-E

I’d rather have an okay closer than have to rely on someone who we don’t know if they can’t handle the mental stress that seems to come from that role. I just hope that Hyde is willing to go with the best option rather if one of the other bullpen guys comes in pitching lights out.

Elias said he wanted someone with closing experience. I think 417 saves qualifies. He made 1/10 last year and then outperformed the year prior (FIP notwithstanding), so I'd expect something like 1/12 but hopefully with a team option tacked on. (Another 1/18 with a $2m buyout?)

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

I’d rather have an okay closer than have to rely on someone who we don’t know if they can’t handle the mental stress that seems to come from that role. I just hope that Hyde is willing to go with the best option rather if one of the other bullpen guys comes in pitching lights out.

I think the mental stress angle is way overplayed.

Every season we see multiple guys move into the closer role and do just fine.

The number that seemingly can't handle the stress is pretty small.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

His last two seasons were meh. 2022 in particular. But I suppose it’s a move. Hopefully we sign another decent reliever and get a starter. 

I'll take the 132 ERA+, the 1.043 WHIP, and the 12.3 K/9. His numbers last year were pretty good.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

How would people feel about this signing if he didn’t stand with that stupid pose prior to his windup?

A lot better. I can't lie, that's my biggest complaint about him. Otherwise, it's a perfectly reasonable move for a team without a backend guy that has playoff expectations.