Bloomberg: Carlyle Group/David Rubenstein In Talks To Purchase Orioles

ThisIsBirdland

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Don't forget, he initially came into the Ravens org as a minority owner.  He only did that with the OPTION to buy, because as he said, minority ownership is a terrible deal.

That's what I'm suggesting (hoping?) his participation would look like here. 

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I don't like this dude for a number of reasons, and yes, I've heard of him before a week ago.

But I will say this: How these billionaires make their money can you tell a lot about how they're going to run their organizations.

Peter Angelos made his money as a trial lawyer and he ran his baseball team as one.  It was disastrous on a numbrer of levels.

Peter Bisciotti made his money in personnel, and he's ran his football team as such.  And it's been very successful.

Rubenstein is a lawyer and investment capitalist, who seems to have made his money largely because of a lot of friendly relationships with people inside the Beltway.

That doesn't inspire me with confidence.

You strike me as the type of guy that doesn't like people that are obscenely wealthy no matter how they made their money.  If you're here to gripe about billonaires in general, well, I guess you're a hammer and everything is a nail.

Angelos, by and large, was a credit to the community outside of what he did to the Orioles.  You can say what you want about him but he's been a charitable guy...IIRC there was one year where he donated a few hundred thousand to keep Baltimore city pools open and he did it anonymously.  

That said, I am not sure how someone runs a baseball team like a trial lawyer.  I'm not sure how Bisciotti made his money in personnel (staffing and recruiting) and then ran his football team as such and that made him successful in running said team.  Like, personnel and recruiting is important in any arena.  

I don't care that Rubenstein is a lawyer and into VC.  I don't care how he made his money and I'm not sure why anyone really would, as long as it's legal.  Lots of people make money leveraging relationships, this isn't a bad thing.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe this guy has some money to throw around, will keep Elias and his crew in the fold for a long time and really actually get out of the way.

Jeez, Pickles.  Try some positivity for once.  

If this goes through it's better than any off-season moves Elias could make including signing Gunnar and Holliday to contract extensions.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Peter Bisciotti invented the famous biscotti.

ciotti .

Nevermind the guy who invented Barbie invented the cookie.

From the Dark Ages came the Renaissance, and with it the reemergence of biscotti by an Italian baker named Antonio Mattei in the mid 1800's. His original recipe was awarded a prize at the Exhibitions in Florence in 1861, London in 1862 and Paris in 1867.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

You strike me as the type of guy that doesn't like people that are obscenely wealthy no matter how they made their money.  If you're here to gripe about billonaires in general, well, I guess you're a hammer and everything is a nail.

Angelos, by and large, was a credit to the community outside of what he did to the Orioles.  You can say what you want about him but he's been a charitable guy...IIRC there was one year where he donated a few hundred thousand to keep Baltimore city pools open and he did it anonymously.  

That said, I am not sure how someone runs a baseball team like a trial lawyer.  I'm not sure how Bisciotti made his money in personnel (staffing and recruiting) and then ran his football team as such and that made him successful in running said team.  Like, personnel and recruiting is important in any arena.  

I don't care that Rubenstein is a lawyer and into VC.  I don't care how he made his money and I'm not sure why anyone really would, as long as it's legal.  Lots of people make money leveraging relationships, this isn't a bad thing.

You have any evidence for what kind of guy I am?  Ya don't, but you're sure going to paint with that broad brush.

Peter Angelos running his team like a trial lawyer is exemplified by him haggling over every little thing, over refusing to invest in the future, over trying to "win" every single deal, from the players, to the managers, to MLB, to the TV networks.  He was a terrible baseball owner.

That said, I have complimented him before for his charitable givings, particularly to the city.

I do care how Rubenstein made his money, and I do think it reflects on how he'd run his ball club.  You can call "leveraging relationships;"  others might call it gross corruption.

Maybe one of his kids can be owner when he passes. Maybe get some of the Trump kids as minority owners.

Rubenstein and Rogoff have three adult children: Alexandra, Gabrielle, and Andrew. Gabrielle co-founded Manna Tree, a private equity firm that invests in health and nutrition companies. She was also a co-chair of Donald Trump's 2016 presidential campaign in Alaska.

Is anyone else like me where this is interesting news but you don't feel strongly one way or the other at this point in time? Because that's where I'm at. 

I am neither excited nor dismayed by this news/rumor. We don't know very much and it will be a long time before we do, if ever. 

In the meantime, I will continue the handwringing about trading for a SP and hoping we sign the damn lease. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You have any evidence for what kind of guy I am?  Ya don't, but you're sure going to paint with that broad brush.

Peter Angelos running his team like a trial lawyer is exemplified by him haggling over every little thing, over refusing to invest in the future, over trying to "win" every single deal, from the players, to the managers, to MLB, to the TV networks.  He was a terrible baseball owner.

That said, I have complimented him before for his charitable givings, particularly to the city.

I do care how Rubenstein made his money, and I do think it reflects on how he'd run his ball club.  You can call "leveraging relationships;"  others might call it gross corruption.

Oh, I've got plenty of evidence as to what kind of guy you are.  If judging by your posting style, I'm fairly confident you like to pick nits whenever at all possible and delve into debates on semantics with a disagreeable streak an inch deep and a mile long.  :)

You can say that Angelos ran his team like a trial lawyer, you might not be wrong in that regard but I think the overriding perceptions of him came down to him being a cheapskate (you call it haggling) and being thin skinned (Jon Miller). 

As for "gross corruption" I don't care.  I really don't.  Just win and spend a little money on the emerging core.  Keep Elias here.  That's really it.