MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What I don't understand is, if that is the plan, why say anything about bringing guys in?  Talk up your internal options.

Because Elias got asked one of his first real questions as a GM and gave the masses what they wanted to hear. Gave him some more time to play hero and Hollywood his success. If he dismisses a FA SP he would get killed and so would the org. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Uwasawa and Brasier are our most likely targets. Not the #3 SP that we wanted to bring in, but we all knew that. 

Heck, use a bat to buy one of the Dodger’s blocked internal SP options. We lost Means after this season too. 

Put the crystal ball down and skip the second cup of coffee.

• Haha 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, but why set expectations in the first place?

Let the fanbase be pleasantly surprised they got someone.

They gotta tell the press something.

Find me a GM that says "We're not going to consider signing any free agents this offseason, we're not going to look at anyone to sign, we're not considering trades.  We're only going to promote from within and rely on talent we already have for the upcoming season."

I also don’t buy that we didn’t know who Uwasawa was when asked. 

I’m not saying we’re interested, but why wouldn’t we know one the of FA pitchers?  Heck, they have to know a thousand names for the draft each year. 

Everyone is waiting for a domino to fall with Cease… Uwasawa’s Jan 11th deadline might be that deadline.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Because Elias got asked one of his first real questions as a GM and gave the masses what they wanted to hear. Gave him some more time to play hero and Hollywood his success. If he dismisses a FA SP he would get killed and so would the org. 

I'm sorry, what? He's brought the team through a rebuild that was tough for the fans, and he was asked real questions. He's been exploring the trade market, which to this point hasn't really played out at all this offseason. He said from the start if the prospect cost was too high, he'd pass on making deals. You can dislike that outcome but it doesn't make his public comments inaccurate.

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't know.

To me saying you are targeting someone and coming back empty handed is worse.

2 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I'm sorry, what? He's brought the team through a rebuild that was tough for the fans, and he was asked real questions. He's been exploring the trade market, which to this point hasn't really played out at all this offseason. He said from the start if the prospect cost was too high, he'd pass on making deals. You can dislike that outcome but it doesn't make his public comments inaccurate.

I don’t care about getting GM speaked to. Elias have the answer that the average fan 100% wanted and needed to hear. It’s a business. He couldn’t even get away with “We’re looking at SP options.”  He needed to add in the #3 part. He got the heat off of him. I’m fine with his answers. But what SP deal that’s gone down were we really interested in?

We don’t know who Uwasawa is. We checked in on Aaron Nola. Just admit that Uwasawa is in our wheel house. 

I said it a while back, just build a lockdown bullpen.  We can trade from some of our positional depth to get quality bullpen arms.  Most everyone would trade a bullpen arm for a potential full time positional player, even if they would be considered league average talent.  

If we do this we should have enough depth in the starting rotation.  Also with a couple strong additional it should free you up to put Hall in the rotation to see what happens.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know.

To me saying you are targeting someone and coming back empty handed is worse.

To us worse, but to the casual fan the O’s passion diminished and the Ravens season was picking up. It also armed the people selling tickets with something to say. “We”re trying. Did you hear what Elias said recently.”  

It’s not like Elias is going to get hammered by the press. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t care about getting GM speaked to. Elias have the answer that the average fan 100% wanted and needed to hear. It’s a business. He couldn’t even get away with “We’re looking at SP options.”  He needed to add in the #3 part. He got the heat off of him. I’m fine with his answers. But what SP deal that’s gone down were we really interested in?

We don’t know who Uwasawa is. We checked in on Aaron Nola. Just admit that Uwasawa is in our wheel house. 

Dude, I'm 99% certain your fixation with Uwasawa is unique to you and only you.

I guess stating your off-season goals of brining in a RP to close and a top 1-3 SP is GM speak? It seems like he just acknowledged that's what his goals were. The fact that you don't know every potential deal or negotiation doesn't mean we haven't engaged in them. We're clearly in on Cease. That doesn't mean it will happen, and we shouldn't want it to happen if the White Sox demands aren't in line with how we value him.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What heat?

Did I miss a series of probing questions from the media?

On 1/4/2024 at 11:27 AM, interloper said:

Mets just paid $10 million for Harrison Bader, a CF who posted a 69 OPS+ last year and negative rWAR. 

What in the world? 

Lol, they are the Mets for a reason. More money than sense.