MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

We coulda done that

Financially yes, but it appeared to me that Snell was intent on living on the west coast.

In any case, this was a good result because he's not even in the American League, let alone, on a division rival's roster.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

We coulda done that

We could have done a lot of things.   Oh well.   Giants needed him probably more than any team in baseball and he preferred the west coast.   Oh well.

3 hours ago, Dunk35 said:

What does Montgomery get now? 25 per?A 2/50 deal with the same opt out?

I was just pondering the same question. Articles from 2 weeks ago said he wasn't budging on his asking price of 7 years and a big number. But if no one is going to give him that, and he doesn't accept a different offer, then he sits on the couch and collects no pay what-so-ever while Major League Baseball plays games in 2024.

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I was just pondering the same question. Articles from 2 weeks ago said he wasn't budging on his asking price of 7 years and a big number. But if no one is going to give him that, and he doesn't accept a different offer, then he sits on the couch and collects no pay what-so-ever while Major League Baseball plays games in 2024.

Nope …..

5 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I think this is interesting. I wonder if the Cole injury has them thinking this isn’t the year to push all the chips in? 

Or they are confident he will be back and they can weather the storm. 

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We could have done a lot of things.   Oh well.   Giants needed him probably more than any team in baseball and he preferred the west coast.   Oh well.

I feel like I read somewhere that the Yankees were the only East coast team he would consider. 

The fact that Snell signed for this little, Montgomery still sits, and we have a hole in the rotation (to start the season) this big (I’m sorry but Irvin is not a starter on a team with legit WS aspirations) leads me to believe that until the ownership transfer process is complete there will be no more moves/spending. The best we can hope for is probably the deadline at this point. 

But the good news is that the first 2 months of the season are our easiest (schedule wise) by far. Hopefully Bradish and Means can heal up by June.

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Big L for Snell and Boras. Hopefully, some of our young guys see that Boras isn’t always the way to a big payday. Might as well sign that extension now Gunnar. Don’t leave yourself like Snell. 

I’m not sure this entirely Boras’ fault.  A lot of the bigger spenders had some issues this offseason that don’t normally plague them.

It definitely looks bas for Boras but I think there is more to it than that.

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

It seems pretty obvious that what is causing injuries is max velocity effort on most pitches. 

Does that mean there are no other contributing factors?