MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Giants reportedly looking for SS help.  Coughmateocough

They have some SS prospects so I don't think they'd be interested in a player like Ortiz. The biggest benefit of trading Mateo would be his roster spot. I guess with minimal return they might be interested in him.

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

They have some SS prospects so I don't think they'd be interested in a player like Ortiz. The biggest benefit of trading Mateo would be his roster spot. I guess with minimal return they might be interested in him.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/giants-trade-rumors-joey-bart-shortstop.html

They may want a larger upgrade like Adames.  But if they settle for more of a placeholder, Mateo could potentially be someone for them.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/giants-trade-rumors-joey-bart-shortstop.html

They may want a larger upgrade like Adames.  But if they settle for more of a placeholder, Mateo could potentially be someone for them.

I hope. As I said before, the biggest benefit of trading Mateo would be an opening on the 26 man.

18 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I recognize it's Bowden, but figured it was worth posting.

Feel like the Yankees have been extremely bullish on making this move.

The Giants throwing around confederate money ala Syd Thrift some 20+ years ago.  Struck out on Judge and Ohtani and now projected with highest offer but not a favorite for YY.

4 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

The Giants throwing around confederate money ala Syd Thrift some 20+ years ago.  Struck out on Judge and Ohtani and now projected with highest offer but not a favorite for YY.

They should try for Trout.    Maybe Soto next year.

In the actions speak louder than words category, I'll regard if Trout choreographs himself to one of SFG or LAD as info if he and Shohei were friends.     Giants Trout after the WBC would be fun California baseball.

It'll be kind of a bummer if Trout just sits tight for his 30's.

40 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

German is interesting guy.  He shows flashes at times of being dominant like the perfect game but then looks lost the next start.  He  still has good strike out ratio but not much consistency.  He could be guy we put in our pitching lab and see good results.  A one year deal with option for 2nd year wouldn’t be bad for us or him to establish himself.  

Just now, interloper said:

Personally I don't think he's going to hit enough over here, but we'll see. I'd like it to work out and hope I'm wrong.

I don't think he has to hit a ton to be worth the deal.

FWIW Fangraphs is projecting him at 3 WAR for 2024 and I think they are underselling his stolen bases (they have him at 6 for 9).

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he has to hit a ton to be worth the deal.

FWIW Fangraphs is projecting him at 3 WAR for 2024 and I think they are underselling his stolen bases (they have him at 6 for 9).

Yeah. We'll see. He will have to really play a good ML CF. On the MLBTR podcast recently, Dierkes was saying there are only like 2 or 3 examples of KBO players who were 10% better than average over here. Doesn't mean he can't do it but the odds are suspect and for $100+ mil that's a bit of a risk.

That said don't get me wrong it's a cool signing and I'd love for him to be great.