MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

It would be nice for the Giants to fall in love with one of the big name SP FA. Hopefully the Mets will get 2-3. So far the this offseason the O’s have played some really good FA “defense”. With only Soto coming into the division. I worry something like this could happen,

Montgomery - NYY

Hader - Toronto

Imanaga - Red Sox

Neris/Stephenson/Hicks - NYY

Kershaw I wonder if Andrew Friedman wouldn't breathe a sigh of relief now if he went to the Rangers for a swansong.    Glasnow-Yamamoto-Miller are all probably ahead of him for tournament roles in '24 even before Ohtani's back in '25, and if Buehler can return strong that's one more step down the depth chart.     It'd be tough to leave "Cal Ripken" off the playoff roster.

Couple of observations from MLB Network this morning:

-Yankees after miss perhaps now right next to Orioles in chasing Cease-Burnes type pitchers.

-Are Angels fans mad now that Shohei is going to LA NFL games like Taylor Swift or something?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Dodgers had to clear some roster space and do a prospect/prospect trade with the Yankees after Ohtani. Elias should see if we can snag one of their SP arms in AAA/MLB that won’t make their superstar rotation for a position player. 

Agreed.  Sheehan and Frasso are the only two I’d be interested in as a trade focus from the pitchers you mentioned. Maybe Ryan as an additional piece.

10 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

How fair is it for ownership to pocket as much as possible instead of being willing to supplement the roster?

Angelos concern is the team not the league the only people that can stop him are fans by not attending games and buying the product.    The dodgers spending ridiculous money is a concern of the league so the league is the one that can solve that problem.  

30 minutes ago, interloper said:

We will see soon who is the most desperate to land Cease. I don't think the Orioles operate from desperation, so I don't think we end up with him. 

Jays, Yankees, Giants, Boston, Mets all have the stink of desperation on them IMO. And I wouldn't count the Dodgers out at all. 

I do think a “non-desperate” package from Baltimore has much more value that a “desperate” package that NYY could currently offer.

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

Angelos concern is the team not the league the only people that can stop him are fans by not attending games and buying the product.    The dodgers spending ridiculous money is a concern of the league so the league is the one that can solve that problem.  

Over the players’ dead bodies.   

7 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Why is it a concern? There's a team or two every year that goes crazy spending and some people are ready to hand them the WS trophy. Spending does sometimes improve a teams odds, but typically it ends in disappointment.

11 hours ago, bpilktree said:

1.2 billion if you include the posting fee and Glasnow contract.  At what point do other owners say enough and the league gets serious about a hard cap and also hard floor.  You shouldn’t be able to just out pay everyone else and you shouldn’t be able to own a team if you’re not going to spend a certain amount on your product.  

Definitely need a floor.  The Orioles can give out nine figure deals, no problem, as can the other teams at the bottom of the league in payroll.  The thing is that they can’t give them out like this, they have to be more selective and weigh the risk and reward.  With the Dodgers, their insanely good TV rights deal and their proximity to Japan and with both YY/Ohtani, they can more than afford the risk here.  Even if YY is a mid-tier starter, it pays for itself for them.  

Meanwhile, I dont think it would be the same for the Orioles.  They do not have the same market value, and if the deal did not pan out, would be much of of an anchor for us.  

I will say that a contract for YY is absolutely more palatable now than 20 years ago.  The numbers and data were not available to see how a pitcher might translate to MLB 20 years ago, and it would be an insanely risky move.  It still has risk, because he has not pitched in MLB yet, but it is a lot less.  Also, ending up in the Dodgers pitching factory is a huge plus for him as well.  

All of this said…….it’s frustrating that we aren’t at the very least extending our young core right now.  We know from years past that Peter has given out top of the market contracts (Tejada), has extended players before free agency (Jones, Markakis) and has spent numerous times in the top half of payrolls.  The money is there to make some noise and supplement the core, but for……reasons……we aren’t doing it.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The dodgers spending ridiculous money is a concern of the league so the league is the one that can solve that problem.  

Let's not overlook that the Dodgers are one of the most well run teams in the game, if not the best.  Despite picking near last in the draft all the time, they still have a top 10 system.  They've made great trades.  They've retained their core players.  

IMO, they're like what the Rays would be if the Rays had more money.

• Upvote 1