Hall vs one year deals

Sports Guy

4 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Yeah, I think I'd also prefer Hall to the rotation, sign a RP, over the idea of signing another 1 year SP. 

One thing about rotation health. If we don't make a SP trade this winter, the prospect ammo will still be there for an in-season trade next year if a big hole opens in the rotation due to injury. 

Right.....just like this past trade deadline...

If it’s a 1 year deal for a guy with upside who is either discounted from looking for a better platform year or due to injury, I could talk myself into it. Trading for a SP (or just signing a better FA SP…) would still be preferable, but better than nothing. These would all be much more palatable as a secondary SP addition rather than the primary one. 

I also think we’d be better off spending more money on an actual quality RP and then relying on Hall/Wells/Irvin as SP. 

Anyway, some names:

Stroman

Giolito

Flaherty

Wacha

Montas

Mahle

Ryu

Paxton

I expect the first 4 to get 2+ years and I’d pass on all of them then except Stroman. If their market is weak enough for 1 year then why not.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think most fans are expecting the team to completely miss out on their goal of obtaining a #3 or better starter.

So let’s go with the safer idea that they are going to do another 1 year deal with a pitcher who will accept a 1 year deal contract. We know the type of pitcher that is likely to say yes to that.

If the choice was between one of those types of guys or giving DL Hall the ball every 5th day and seeing what he can do, at least for the first 2-3 months of the season, what would you rather see the team do?

Im giving the ball to Hall because the upside is huge and if it doesn’t work out, you can get that one year deal type guy at the deadline to supply you some innings or maybe one of your MiL pitchers has developed and can help out.

I vote for signing a vet to a 1 year deal and keep Hall in the pen. He was filthy last year out of the pen and will only get better. He has great stuff but he just can't put it together consistently and that's ok. It's HARD to be a starting pitcher in the MLB.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think most fans are expecting the team to completely miss out on their goal of obtaining a #3 or better starter.

So let’s go with the safer idea that they are going to do another 1 year deal with a pitcher who will accept a 1 year deal contract. We know the type of pitcher that is likely to say yes to that.

If the choice was between one of those types of guys or giving DL Hall the ball every 5th day and seeing what he can do, at least for the first 2-3 months of the season, what would you rather see the team do?

Im giving the ball to Hall because the upside is huge and if it doesn’t work out, you can get that one year deal type guy at the deadline to supply you some innings or maybe one of your MiL pitchers has developed and can help out.

We know what Hall can do IMO. He’s going to struggle to go 5 innings and get exposed on his 3 or 4th best pitch. That results in a5-6 ERA. What 1 inning relief appearances have done is allow him to throw 100% all of the time and dump the lesser pitches.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

We know what Hall can do IMO. He’s going to struggle to go 5 innings and get exposed on his 3 or 4th best pitch. That results in a5-6 ERA. What 1 inning relief appearances have done is allow him to throw 100% all of the time and dump the lesser pitches.

We know he's going to end up with a 5-6 run ERA?

I would be in favor of Hall getting the ball every fifth day, absolutely. He may need a break for a few weeks in July or August, because he certainly is not stretched out. There is no one with better pure stuff that we are going to acquire. 

I am not sure what Means will give us next year, innings-wise. We’ll likely have Irvin and Wells for starting depth. 

Just now, Roll Tide said:

My guess is he’ll be exposed more at the majors than he was at AAA.

Oh, so we don't know, you are speculating.

Which is fine and all that you are speculating and you might even be correct in your assumptions.

But we don't know.

For the record I'm fine with a five and dive guy at the end of the rotation, if the five are good.  It's the nature of the game at this point.