What about Mayo?

RZNJ

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I have no idea how they will be able to look him in the eyes and tell them he's going back to AAA. He looks not only ready, but looks ready to be an impact hitter. 

Mayo needs to be the everyday 3B. Whether you send Holliday back to AAA, or send Urias away for what you can get, or make Westburg a super sub, or what, but he needs to be starting at 3B on opening day. 

The home run he hit was so far the LF took two steps and then became a spectator himself.

Yessir… that thing landed far, far away. His swing is sheer violence.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Elias and Hyde are going to have some tough decisions to make for the Opening Day roster. If Mayo, Stowers and Holliday keep hitting it’s going to be hard to deny them a roster spot. Kjerstad looks ready too and there’s also Norby. Spring Training trades don’t happen often, but it would be nice to trade some of this position talent for pitching. 

I don’t think there is one available, but a veteran plus bat at 1B/DH is at least worth considering. 

The O's have too many mlb ready bats.  The last thing they want to do is sign another one.  I feel like a trade of Westburg/Urias is almost a necessity.  Mayo looks ready.  Mayo is probably going to be better than any bat we can sign by the end of the year.  I'm not a big believer in Stowers in a small spring training sample size vs his minor league career.  He will likely be a high K/low OBP7good power guy who will struggle to hold a spot in the majors.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's have too many mlb ready bats.  The last thing they want to do is sign another one.  I feel like a trade of Westburg/Urias is almost a necessity.  Mayo looks ready.  Mayo is probably going to be better than any bat we can sign by the end of the year.  I'm not a big believer in Stowers in a small spring training sample size vs his minor league career.  He will likely be a high K/low OBP7good power guy who will struggle to hold a spot in the majors.

It would be nice if Cowser could handle CF. Mullins is banged up already and the one thing the Orioles don't really have position player wise is a prospect who can step in and handle CF right now. McKenna is a backup and Bradfield isn't ready yet.

On my wishlist is trade one of the excess bats for a solid bullpen arm.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It would be nice if Cowser could handle CF. Mullins is banged up already and the one thing the Orioles don't really have position player wise is a prospect who can step in and handle CF right now. McKenna is a backup and Bradfield isn't ready yet.

On my wishlist is trade one of the excess bats for a solid bullpen arm.

I'm on board with trading one of these guys w/o a spot for a bullpen arm.  How has Mateo looked in CF?  Would be nice if Mateo could backup SS & CF.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm on board with trading one of these guys w/o a spot for a bullpen arm.  How has Mateo looked in CF?  Would be nice if Mateo could backup SS & CF.

Mateo being able to play CF would be a huge boost and it justifies keeping him on the team. Mateo certainly has the speed to play the outfield.

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I have no idea how they will be able to look him in the eyes and tell them he's going back to AAA. He looks not only ready, but looks ready to be an impact hitter. 

Mayo needs to be the everyday 3B. Whether you send Holliday back to AAA, or send Urias away for what you can get, or make Westburg a super sub, or what, but he needs to be starting at 3B on opening day. 

The home run he hit was so far the LF took two steps and then became a spectator himself.

Not even Walltimore at OPACY is going to be able to contain Mayo's bat.

16 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Mateo being able to play CF would be a huge boost and it justifies keeping him on the team. Mateo certainly has the speed to play the outfield.

It would be nice if they actually played him there to see, but he keeps playing shortstop.

14 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Not to you specifically, but I hope we have plans to bring the wall in some. I hated the old little league wall and wanted it pushed back some, but imo they went overboard. Somewhere in the middle would be good.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

He’s gonna go upper deck LF a couple times this year.  Calling it now.  He has prodigious power.  

3 minutes ago, FlaO'sFan said:

Not to you specifically, but I hope we have plans to bring the wall in some. I hated the old little league wall and wanted it pushed back some, but imo they went overboard. Somewhere in the middle would be good.

Because it’s pretty easy to move a wall

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FlaO'sFan said:

I agree with this take. The left field porch was too far in before, but Walltimore was an over-correction. I would prefer a happy medium between the old left field and new left field fence at OPACY.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It would be nice if they actually played him there to see, but he keeps playing shortstop.

I'm wondering whether Mateo's CF play in practice has convinced the Orioles he's not yet ready to be put out there in ST games -- or, even worse, that there's no use in experimenting because he's not going to be an ML-quality backup CFer. I hope neither of those things is true. It just seems like something that ought to be tried to help shape the roster.

Urias, MacKenna, and Mateo gotta go.  Cowser can back up CF and we have 3 guys that can cover SS.  Mayo needs to be on the OD roster.  Like Tony said, I don’t know how you can tell a guy you have to earn a spot and then go back and tell him what he did wasn’t enough.  

• Upvote 2