What about Mayo?

RZNJ

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So who replaces him in LF? I mean you could put Kjerstad in LF as he doesn't have a big platoon difference, but you lose some defensive range and especially arm in LF when you do that. Mateo makes sense because he can backup SS too. 

Saying all that, despite McKenna's terrible spring so far, he very well may still make the team as a 5th outfielder since he put up decent numbers against lefties last year.

Cowser. Although, he would probably be used in CF before Hays. 
I think Hays, Mullins, Santander, Cowser are the four OF’s, with Mateo and O’Hearn available in case of emergency.

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So who replaces him in LF? I mean you could put Kjerstad in LF as he doesn't have a big platoon difference, but you lose some defensive range and especially arm in LF when you do that. Mateo makes sense because he can backup SS too. 

Saying all that, despite McKenna's terrible spring so far, he very well may still make the team as a 5th outfielder since he put up decent numbers against lefties last year.

How about Stowers? He hits lefties well and plays a decent LF and has a cannon.  

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Honestly we could lose Hays, Santander, and Mullins and replace them with Cowser, Santander, and Kjerstad with McKenna as backup and be just fine most likely. 

I think you mean Cowser, Stowers and Kjerstad. And I want to agree, though it's a tough sell to swap all three at once!

While this is the Mayo thread, just a quick level set on how many LH starting pitchers in AL.  From eyeballing the depth charts:

East = NYY (2), TOR (1), TBR and BOS (0)

Central = CLE (1), KCR (1), DET MINN and CWS (0)

West = LAA (2), OAK (2), HOU (1), TEX (1), SEA (0)

So less than 20% and several of the lefthanders are 5th starter types, particularly on OAK.  I think the “tough” LHers are limited to Framber and Ragans. Rodon and Detmers probably next best. 

With the Os lineup balance switch hitters and rule changes, they are less vulnerable to bullpen matchups and LOOGYs.

14 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Honestly we could lose Hays, Santander, and Mullins and replace them with Cowser, Santander, and Kjerstad with McKenna as backup and be just fine most likely. 

The O's won't trade Santander or Mullins until one or more of the outfield prospects proves it for awhile at the major league level.  That's especially true of Mullins.

8 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

The O's won't trade Santander or Mullins until one or more of the outfield prospects proves it for awhile at the major league level.  That's especially true of Mullins.

I agree I was just speaking to our depth.

9 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I agree I was just speaking to our depth.

I figured.  And I can't see them trading Hays because he's right handed and Cowser, Kjerstad and Stowers are all lefties.  Unless Hyde is open to the idea of Mayo in the outfield, though I kinda doubt it.  The O's simply have too many left handed outfielders.  In the infield two of Mateo, Urias, Norby and Westburg need to get moved pretty soon.  Nobody seems to be serious about Mateo in the outfield at this point.

4 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Urias, MacKenna, and Mateo gotta go.  Cowser can back up CF and we have 3 guys that can cover SS.  Mayo needs to be on the OD roster.  Like Tony said, I don’t know how you can tell a guy you have to earn a spot and then go back and tell him what he did wasn’t enough.  

I can see keeping Urias, but backup SS/pinch runner is not enough reason to keep Mateo.  Backup CF is not enough reason to keep McKenna.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I can see keeping Urias, but backup SS/pinch runner is not enough reason to keep Mateo.  Backup CF is not enough reason to keep McKenna.

How is Urias & Westburg more valuable than Westburg & Mateo?