Will Ryan O'Hearn be traded?

wildcard

Right now Ryan O'Hearn has a spot on the O's Opening Day 26 man roster.  But will he keep it?   He is a free agent at the end of 2024.  He will be challenged by other players on  and off the 40 man roster that will be looking for playing time in spring training.   He is a good first baseman and hits when he DHs.  And he can play the outfield corners in a pinch though his range is not great out there.  He is a platoon player vs right-handed pitching.

Here is how I see the first base depth:

Mountcastle

O'Hearn

Santander

Westburg

Kjerstad

Mayo

Basallo

Mayo and Basallo are probably not making the opening day roster.  But Mayo will be knocking on the door as the season progresses because of his bat.   Westburg hasn't played 1B but he has the size to be a good target for the infielders.  He is an accomplished infielder who can probably field the first base position.   And with all the infield depth it adds another position to get him at bats.   

Santander was tried at first base last year and looked passable.  With all the outfielders looking for playing time including Cowser and Kjerstad  having Santander back up 1B is not an outrageous idea.   Kjerstad has been tried at first base in the minors.   What I heard was he has more work to do there defensively.

Some may say that O'Hearn has no trade value.  Which is, of course, not true.   He can bring back a minor leaguer.  Elias is good at that.   And Elias likes to add to the minor league depth when he can.

It appears that several players in camp will not only be playing to earn a position on the O's but also playing for the many scouts that will attending the games.   And trades may develop during spring training if not before or after the season begins.

Right now O'Hearn is one of the two best defensive first baseman on the team. But O's management is probably  going to be looking at who else can play first base and hit.   Its something to watch during spring training  IMO.  I doubt Elias is going to want O'Hearn to walk for nothing at the end of the year.  He is projected to make around 3M this year.

What is your take on O'Hearn?

Edited by wildcard

Good thoughts. I really like O’Hearn.  He and Mountcastle make up one of the more productive 1B in the league. We probably just don’t want him playing vs LHP. I think he’s like Santa. He’s worth more to us than what he would bring back in a trade. 

A good pickup by Elias last offseason. 

Elias is not concerned with O’Hearn walking at the end of the year.  He’s only concerned with how he fits on the 26 man roster and if he can contribute this year.   His FA has ZERO to do with his standing on the team.

3 vets that I would like to keep around because of roster construction, cost and value are Urias, OHearn and Hays. If they moved on from any of those guys, I’m not going to be upset but I like them for the roster construction of this team, especially where I think he will wind up.

Santander and Mountcastle are at the top of my list of existing ML vets that I want to see traded. Don’t necessarily have to trade both of them but I would prefer it.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

3 vets that I would like to keep around because of roster construction, cost and value are Urias, OHearn and Hays. If they moved on from any of those guys, I’m not going to be upset but I like them for the roster construction of this team, especially where I think he will wind up.

Santander and Mountcastle are at the top of my list of existing ML vets that I want to see traded. Don’t necessarily have to trade both of them but I would prefer it.

Depends on other things (Trades) this off season and Mayo coming fast, I agree  With Mountcastle getting traded is a good option

When I was putting together my list of the top 10 games of 2023 and the runners up, I was really struck by the number of times O’Hearn was in the middle of a key rally.  I’m not saying that’s replicable, just that he made a big contribution to last year’s team.  

Hits with a WPA over .200 (high):

Santander 10 (.421)

Rutschman 9 (.438)

O’Hearn 9 (.391)

Mullins 7 (.657)

Henderson 7 (.550)

Mountcastle 6 (.303)

Frazier 4 (.510)

Hicks 3 (.629)

Hays  3 (.241)

Urias 3 (.219)

Westburg 2 (.277)

McCann 2 (.220)

Cowser 1 (.340)

McKenna 1 (.303)

Mateo 0

• Upvote 2

He seems like a nice piece to keep in place until Basallo arrives? I've assumed Basallo will end up being a LH bat capable of rotating between C/1B/DH to consistently keep his bat in the lineup. If Mayo doesn't stick at 3B he can be the primary RH batting 1B, rotating into DH and corner OF to keep his bat in the lineup?

I think there needs to be a backup in case Mountcastle pulls a Mountcastle and underwhelms. O’Hearn seems like the best candidate to do that. Not to mention, the platoon option between the two seems to work out well. 

I’m curious what the Mets would ask for Alonso. Get ourselves an actual slugger for a year 

Edited by oriole

I don't think O'Hearn will be traded.    While Mayo and Basallo keep simmering, O'Hearn is fine to try and repeat the Lowenstein thing.

The roster revolving around Adley, O'Hearn and Mountcastle I think generally both get to start when he catches (O'Hearn never faces lefties, obviously), and then Adley DH days its more an authentic Roenicke-Lowenstein kind of deal at 1B.

I think 2024's "Who is better today?" questions are kind of:

-Is Jackson Holliday better than Ramon Urias today?

-Is Coby Mayo better than Ryan #1 today?

-Is Samuel Basallo better than Ryan #2 today?

On 1.10.2024, we have about 1.102024 yesses.     On 9.10.2024, we'll probably be around 1.9102024.

Mom also has Kjerstad/Cowser v. Hays/Santander leftovers in the fridge.

Edited by Just Regular