Sandy Alcantara vs. Everyone Else

Dylan Cease, Jesus Luzardo, Shane Bieber, etc. have been hoarding all of the air in the room lately, but perhaps it might be better to try to address the Orioles rotation with more of a long-term strategy in mind.

The Marlins are always struggling with payroll issues and this year is reportedly no different, which makes improving meaningfully difficult. Could that be something we take advantage of?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/alcansa01.shtml

Sandy Alcantara is set to make $9.3 million in his final year of original team control, then $17.3 million in 2025 and 2026 with a $21 million team option for 2027, but will miss all of 2024 recovering from TJS. Is it possible that the Marlins would have interest in trading him since he won't contribute this year and then gets expensive (by their standards) next year? If so, what do you offer?

As has been pointed out previously in relation to other Miami trade candidate SPs, the Marlins might have interest in some of our MLB pieces like Santander, Hays, Mateo, and Mountcastle, which could make them an ideal trade partner for us if we want to keep as much of our prospect gunpowder dry as possible for now.

If we could pull it off, we would be getting a guy who could legitimately be our Verlander, our ace, for 3 theoretical runs at autumn glory starting in 2025, and the financial cost should be well within our means as a bottom 3 payroll with zero long-term commitments on the books. He's even cheap enough that we should be able to afford a 1 year stopgap guy like Paxton or Ryu to help out in 2024 while Alcantara recovers, if you don't want to just hand Hall, Wells, or Irvin the 5th starter gig.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Dylan Cease, Jesus Luzardo, Shane Bieber, etc. have been hoarding all of the air in the room lately, but perhaps it might be better to try to address the Orioles rotation with more of a long-term strategy in mind.

The Marlins are always struggling with payroll issues and this year is reportedly no different, which makes improving meaningfully difficult. Could that be something we take advantage of?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/alcansa01.shtml

Sandy Alcantara is set to make $9.3 million in his final year of original team control, then $17.3 million in 2025 and 2026 with a $21 million team option for 2027, but will miss all of 2024 recovering from TJS. Is it possible that the Marlins would have interest in trading him since he won't contribute this year and then gets expensive (by their standards) next year? If so, what do you offer?

As has been pointed out previously in relation to other Miami trade candidate SPs, the Marlins might have interest in some of our MLB pieces like Santander, Hays, Mateo, and Mountcastle, which could make them an ideal trade partner for us if we want to keep as much of our prospect gunpowder dry as possible for now.

If we could pull it off, we would be getting a guy who could legitimately be our Verlander, our ace, for 3 theoretical runs at autumn glory starting in 2025, and the financial cost should be well within our means as a bottom 3 payroll with zero long-term commitments on the books. He's even cheap enough that we should be able to afford a 1 year stopgap guy like Paxton or Ryu to help out in 2024 while Alcantara recovers, if you don't want to just hand Hall, Wells, or Irvin the 5th starter gig.

I love the idea.

Hmmm...

Sounds like you would be paying for 2021-22 Alcantara without any guarantee he's going to fully recover from TJS.  

He was rode pretty hard by the Marlins and broke. For a youngish power pitcher, he has had a substantial workload the last 3 years. How many bullets are left in that gun? And can he replicate the freakish combination of velocity and movement he had prior to surgery? Should the O's risk $38.3 MM to find out? 

It's all about the 2025-2026 payroll budget.  Sure, we can 'afford' it but is it allocated?  I'm sure it'll cost less in prospect capital in general.  Maybe we give more if they eat some of the contract.  He'll cost less than the Pepiot/deLuca tab that LAD paid for Glasnow.  There are worse ideas out there.

Marlins recap:

Derek Jeter has stepped away from Bruce Sherman's organization.

Kim Ng did too.

New GM Peter Bendix hired from Friedman-Tampa tree.

I half think walk year Tanner Scott will get moved before opening day.    I've read some Luis Arraez whispers too.

Eury Perez and Sandy Alcantara are the franchise players, but 2024 one is down and the other is still growing.    For the moment, Alcantara is the only Arm born since 1994 with 20 career WAR, and Perez is the only Arm born since 2000 with 2 career WAR.

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Hmmm...

Sounds like you would be paying for 2021-22 Alcantara without any guarantee he's going to fully recover from TJS.  

He was rode pretty hard by the Marlins and broke. For a youngish power pitcher, he has had a substantial workload the last 3 years. How many bullets are left in that gun? And can he replicate the freakish combination of velocity and movement he had prior to surgery? Should the O's risk $38.3 MM to find out? 

You already have an in house Pitcher coming off TJ. Just extend Means, Further I have no idea how you even start to Value what Sandy A would be worth in trade value. If it was Major League ready talent (santander, plus . depends on the cost, if its cheap enough why not? My personal feeling it would be expensive

11 hours ago, Safelykept said:

You already have an in house Pitcher coming off TJ. Just extend Means, Further I have no idea how you even start to Value what Sandy A would be worth in trade value. If it was Major League ready talent (santander, plus . depends on the cost, if its cheap enough why not? My personal feeling it would be expensive

You’re saying extend the 30 year old SP, coming off TJ surgery, and having to be shut down in the playoffs after 4 starts this year? Without seeing if he can bounce back?