Jim Palmer files fraud suit

Frobby

My daughter's step brother is profoundly autistic. Matt is completely non-verbal and very isolated. Since his father passed away he's been living with my oldest daughter. The two of them developed a special bond together, and since he's moved in with her, he's really blossomed. He's still non-verbal but he communicates some in writing. It breaks my heart to think anyone would be so depraved as to take emotional and financial advantage of someone in Matt's situation. I hope this guy gets what's coming to him. 

Edited by BRobinsonfan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Like Google has any idea what Palmer’s net worth is.

I’d be astounded if an intelligent guy like Palmer would lend 1/3 of his net worth to anyone.  Getting duped is one thing, getting duped out of a sum that could materially change your lifestyle is something else entirely.  You’d really have to be crazy to lend anyone 1/3 of your net worth at his stage of life, even if they were trustworthy.  I realize that there are people who do things like that, usually people who aren’t very smart or who have diminished capacity, or who are lovestruck.  I seriously doubt Palmer would do it.   

It’s scarier to me that he allowed him to become his guardian. That takes a whole lot of trust. 

1 hour ago, Orioles5258 said:

My 1 minute of Internet sleuthing found his Instagram page, I'm not a social media person and wondering how he has 120,000 followers with only 9 posts

WARREN MICHAEL HOLMES (@warrenmichaelholmes) • Instagram photos and videos

From what I can surmise the Warren Michael Holmes that befriended the Palmer family was an impersonator and chances are that Instagram page belongs to the actual guy. Holmes could have locked his Instagram when this news broke to avoid any confusion between himself and the imposter.

Hall of Fame pitcher Jim Palmer suing family friend for allegedly defrauding him of nearly $1 million

Palmer said he struck up a friendship with Holmes, who claimed to be a British hairstylist, in 2015. Over the years, Holmes became close with Palmer's wife, Susan, and his 27-year-old autistic stepson, Spencer. Eventually, the relationship became so strong that the Palmers made Holmes a legal guardian of Spencer, as well as the manager of his trust, if something were to happen to them.

47 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That is tragic. Amazing someone as smart as Palmer can have such poor judgment. 

Chances are Palmer developed a blind spot to this guy's intentions because he was happy his son had a friend that seemed to really care about him. Plenty of con artists are vary savvy and know how to play on a person's emotions. If Palmer hired a private investigator to check out Holmes this all could have been prevented.

This sucks because Spencer probably only knows his friend is gone and doesn't understand this scumbag was only taking advantage of him and his family's wealth. It's hard to find someone lower than a person that takes advantage of people with disabilities for their own personal gain.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Banner spoke to Jim. Thank god he  is no longer in the will.

Palmer, 78, said that Susan’s mother has Alzheimer’s and her father had dementia. Susan’s biggest fear, Palmer said, is who will continue the lifelong care of her son should she fall ill. Holmes was an answer.

Jim Palmer accuses former friend of defrauding him of $1 million - The Baltimore Banner
https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/sports/orioles-mlb/orioles-jim-palmer-hairstylist-fraud-lawsuit-1-million-LHUHJQ4JM5B6DEHZNKLHLAUNVY/

I know the fear. My brother (10 years younger than me) is mentally disabled. My wife and I have no kids. After us, It’s a handful of seldom scene cousins who might take care of him. 

On the getting scammed part: I know several  intelligent, otherwise with it, folks who have gotten bilked in ways big and small. You never think it can happen to you until it does.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 7:22 PM, Snutchy said:

If this is true, I’m sure there could be something that can be charged criminally. 

It is really hard to get prosecutors interested in these kinds of cases.  I speak from experience as a lawyer who represented clients who were victims of fraud several times.  If the perpetrator ripped off lots of people, that’s one thing.  One relatively wealthy victim doesn’t get much attention.  Of course, Palmer’s fame might incentivize a prosecutor.  

On 1/18/2024 at 7:24 AM, Frobby said:

I’d be astounded if an intelligent guy like Palmer would lend 1/3 of his net worth to anyone.  Getting duped is one thing, getting duped out of a sum that could materially change your lifestyle is something else entirely.  You’d really have to be crazy to lend anyone 1/3 of your net worth at his stage of life, even if they were trustworthy.  I realize that there are people who do things like that, usually people who aren’t very smart or who have diminished capacity, or who are lovestruck.  I seriously doubt Palmer would do it.   

Scammers are everywhere nowadays. It happened to me for $50,000+. My dad was scammed out of 11 BTC. Trust no one, man.

13 minutes ago, dedwretched said:

Scammers are everywhere nowadays. It happened to me for $50,000+. My dad was scammed out of 11 BTC. Trust no one, man.

I couldn't edit my post again.

On 1/18/2024 at 7:24 AM, Frobby said:

Scammers are everywhere nowadays. It happened to me for $50,000+. My dad was scammed out of 11 BTC.

Also, I'm on the Spectrum myself. I get too trusting and naive. I have fallen for relationship scams. What OriolesFanSinceThe80s wrote is true, spectrum or not. It's too easy to trust somebody coming into your life, stating they will take care of you or your financial matters. We want the best for ourselves, or in Jim's case, our family. It's easy to overlook someone and not do your due diligence. It sucks that everybody is out there trying to score. But until justice can get served to these turkeys and we can learn from our mistakes, we need to be protective.

• Upvote 1

Since we’re sharing our experiences, my mother (who discovered the Internet late) married a Nigerian scammer. He pretended to be someone else, then when the truth was revealed, she flew to Nigeria anyway to marry him despite all of our nonstop protestations and him being less than half her age. She wouldn’t listen to reason, because loneliness can be a very powerful thing. She wised up in the meantime, and fortunately he’s still overseas and he didn’t get all of her savings. 

In Palmer’s case I feel especially bad for Spencer, who will surely have permanent trust issues from such a deep betrayal. That goes far beyond the purely financial cost.

In Florida elder abuse is a felony and it should be in every state.  Study after study shows the reason people commit crimes-especially financial scams is they don't fear being caught and prosecuted to the extent of the law.  Sophisticated money scams targeting the elderly are proliferating due to use of technology that many-especially elderly don't understand.  

I grew up with a extremely attractive woman who propositioned Jim many, many years ago.  Jim not only turned her down but also gently counseled her-I watched this happen but was unaware of the conversation until later.  Jim Palmer is a class act in my book.