A small but sensible trade idea…

Answerman

If this has already been suggested, then please pardon my late arrival to the party. 

With our logjam of infielders, and the Marlins apparent need for a shortstop, why not offer Mateo for Tanner Scott. I believe both are entering their final year before free agency, so not a long term solution for either club. A hard throwing (albeit erratic at times) lefty would be a good get for a guy that probably won’t get 200 ABs for us. Money should be close to a wash.

Who says no?

• Haha 1

Scott is a back of Bullpen piece. Mateo is a possible cut during/after Spring Training.  I don't see Mateo having enough trade value to keep the Marlins on the phone.

Now, if the Os would offer Norby, Fabian, or Wagner, that might be of some interest to the Marlins

27 minutes ago, Answerman said:

If this has already been suggested, then please pardon my late arrival to the party. 

With our logjam of infielders, and the Marlins apparent need for a shortstop, why not offer Mateo for Tanner Scott. I believe both are entering their final year before free agency, so not a long term solution for either club. A hard throwing (albeit erratic at times) lefty would be a good get for a guy that probably won’t get 200 ABs for us. Money should be close to a wash.

Who says no?

Marlins don’t say no.  They can’t say anything because they can’t stop laughing.

I’m not a Mateo apologist, but to his credit he does play gold glove level defense, multiple positions, led the league in steals and can hit the long ball. He just can’t get on base (I know!).

I might throw in Wagner or Fabian just because I see no path for them in our organization. But wouldn’t trade Norby for one year or Tanner.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Answerman said:

I’m not a Mateo apologist, but to his credit he does play gold glove level defense, multiple positions, led the league in steals and can hit the long ball. He just can’t get on base (I know!).

I might throw in Wagner or Fabian just because I see no path for them in our organization. But wouldn’t trade Norby for one year or Tanner.

Norby for Scott is at least in the ballpark.  Scott was a dominant reliever last year.   But the Marlins need a SS more than a 2B.   If Tanner Scott was available I’d certainly check in on him but Mateo/Wagner ain’t getting it done and they’d really have to love Fabian to be interested in Mateo/Fabian.    Marlins want a trade that, at the least, won’t make them worse this year.   Both your offers make them worse.

Jorge is a good fit for Miami but I agree that you'd need to throw in a good prospect in order to get Tanner. 

For now they're wild card contenders so not necessarily looking to sell, and if they prove not to be in the mix, they'll look to trade Tanner at the deadline for prospects. 

Okay...you guys convinced me my trade is not so sensible for the Marlins. So let's go big:

Marlins get Mateo, Norby, Mayo and Beavers

O's get Luzardo and Scott

The only one we are sending that seems likely to start for us is Mayo. Marlins new GM could look pretty good getting four pieces. 

Who says no?

2 minutes ago, Answerman said:

Okay...you guys convinced me my trade is not so sensible for the Marlins. So let's go big:

Marlins get Mateo, Norby, Mayo and Beavers

O's get Luzardo and Scott

The only one we are sending that seems likely to start for us is Mayo. Marlins new GM could look pretty good getting four pieces. 

Who says no?

This is like trading Grayson and Felix for a one top prospect, a second top 100 guy, and a utility infielder. Why would a competing team do that?

Well...good question. I guess they might consider it because the top prospect is like nobody they have had in many years (and a local kid), the "utility infielder" immediately and cheaply upgrades their shortstop position, and the other two prospects are fairly highly pedigreed and looking like they have a legit shot at major league careers. If one of them lands, it will provide them six years of cheap production - important for this franchise.

Also, they have two more "Graysons" already in their starting rotation, a Cy Younger coming back in another year, and pitching prospects making their way through the system.  And the inconsistent (but effective) reliever will be walking in a year. 

If Tanner Scott can repeat his 2024 in 2023, his asks aren't going to be far off the Josh Hader asks.

Across 2022-2023

Innings: Scott 140, Hader 106

Stuff+: Scott 124, Hader 115    (that's 92nd percentile and 76th percentile among the 200 relievers, 70 IP minimum)

ERA: Hader 3.13, Scott 3.20

Fastball velocity: Scott 96.8, Hader 95.7

K-bb Rank: Hader 8th, Scott 38th      (Scott has the 2023 only edge as he improved his walk rate a bunch)

We have Jud Fabian from the pick acquired, but I don't think that deal was balance positive for the Orioles.

• Upvote 1

Okay...Just Regular makes a very good point. Looks like Scott will not be a throw in. So let's take him out. Do we get our starting pitcher for that package? 

Luzardo - Mayo, Beavers, Norby, Mateo

Now who says no? Are we getting close to a deal?