Would you trade Gunnar Henderson for George Kirby or Spencer Strider?

Just Regular

Would you trade Gunnar Henderson for George Kirby or Spencer Strider?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Gunnar Henderson for George Kirby or Spencer Strider?

• Either One
    • Only Kirby
    • Only Strider
    • Neither One

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/31/24 at 05:00

Judging by the vote, we’re either homers or we’d prefer the lower risk of position players over pitchers.

For me, it’s the latter and I think it colors my opinions over how much I’d give up for a 2-year pitcher. 

I'll break the seal. I chose Strider and seriously considered choosing both. 

Strider is Gerrit Cole but 25 years old. He probably has the single best SP forecast of the next five years in MLB.

Gunnar could be an MVP candidate, I know, but we have Holliday, Mayo, Ortiz, and Westburg for the infield. I think this trade would improve our pitching more than it would damage our offense.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I'll break the seal. I chose Strider and seriously considered choosing both. 

Strider is Gerrit Cole but 25 years old. He probably has the single best SP forecast of the next five years in MLB.

Gunnar could be an MVP candidate, I know, but we have Holliday, Mayo, Ortiz, and Westburg for the infield. I think this trade would improve our pitching more than it would damage our offense.  

If I had to do one I’d do Strider. I’m not a fan of Kirby and haven’t been since he complained about NOT being taken out of a game. 

I voted yes because both Strider and Kirby have 5 years of control and look like bonafide aces to me. 

I like Gunnar of course but Elias has built up depth behind him. Westburg or Ortiz could move into SS with Mayo sliding into 3B. Works for me.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

No chance. Gunnar has the best chance of the three for a Hall of Fame career.

Not saying I'd make the deal but this is a bizarre argument.

The goal is to win the World Series not collect guys that played here for six seasons of a HoF career.

Edit-In hindsight I would have traded Manny in 2014 for a ring and a TOR pitcher.

Edited by Can_of_corn

5 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

No chance. Gunnar has the best chance of the three for a Hall of Fame career.

He'll end up like Machado most likely, probably even less willing to sign an extension than Manny was. Im glad we have him still.

I would only consider Kirby but no.  I think Strider is a bigger injury concern.

The only thing that causes me to potentially say yes is that we likely only have Gunnar for 5 more years…of course, that doesn’t mean we sign a pitcher either.

But ultimately I say no because of the injury factor.

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I voted yes because both Strider and Kirby have 5 years of control and look like bonafide aces to me. 

I like Gunnar of course but Elias has built up depth behind him. Westburg or Ortiz could move into SS with Mayo sliding into 3B. Works for me.

Don't the Braves have an option for 29?

I think my answer is Neither One like many of the early respondents but those are the guys that'd get me to think.    Maybe this decade we just lean into the Bats side of baseball's essential pitcher v. hitter contest.

I'm sure Elias is trying to give three quarters and a dime for a buck, but 1:1 with high value players can provide balance in one fell swoop and then you don't have to spend years conducting 3-4 tiresome negotiations.    Pablo Lopez-Luis Arraez type trades sometimes occur, granting this would be more than that.     Both the Braves and Mariners have a notable SS/3B opening.

Maybe the poll would have been better if it was Adley not Gunnar.

It feels a bit to me like the board overvalues Gunnar relative to Adley as the franchise player character for the moment.     With very good luck Holliday may have a shot to set them to Pippen-Grant status.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Don't the Braves have an option for 29?

Year Age Tm Salary SrvTm Sources Notes/Other Sources
Career to date (may be incomplete) $1,000,000 Does not include future salaries ($69M)
2023 24 Atlanta Braves $1,000,000 1.003    

2024 25 Atlanta Braves $1,000,000 2.003  
2025 26 Atlanta Braves $4,000,000    
2026 27 Atlanta Braves $20,000,000    
2027 28 Atlanta Braves $22,000,000    
2028 29 Atlanta Braves $22,000,000    
2029 30 Atlanta Braves *$22,000,000   $22M Team Option, $5M Buyout
  Earliest Free Agent: 2029

Yeah looks like they do. What a great contract.