MASN Speculation with the Sale

Roll Tide

So Kosta speculated on the radio that there is a possibility that MASN might be sold to Leonsis and Monumental Sports Network. 

***** How would the Orioles maintain their advantage if it’s sold? It seems like it wouldn’t be in their best interest.******

Below is some speculation by a Gnats column

https://www.talknats.com/2024/01/30/breaking-the-orioles-could-be-sold-to-two-private-equity-firms-per-reports/

Just now, Roll Tide said:

So Kosta speculated on the radio that there is a possibility that MASN might be sold to Leonsis and Monumental Sports Network. 

***** How would the Orioles maintain their advantage if it’s sold? It seems like it wouldn’t be in their best interest.******

https://www.talknats.com/2024/01/30/breaking-the-orioles-could-be-sold-to-two-private-equity-firms-per-reports/

Seems to me there is something else going on with MASN because why would Roch stop writing.  To me if this was the same deal all he would say is he couldn’t comment on this and continue to write his daily articles.  

25 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Someone who is obviously in the know with all of this told me to watch for a Leonsis angle coming up soon. I would not be surprised at all if he ends up buying MASN. I just hope he gets rids of this stupid MASN one and MASN two thing and gives each team the same network always. 

• Upvote 2

From the Post:

"Leonsis, who is in near-constant contact with the Lerner family and remains interested in buying the Nationals according to people familiar with the situation, has prioritized the expansion of his Monumental Sports Network, which to this point has not had reliable summer programming outside the WNBA.

Multiple people familiar with Leonsis and the Nationals situation have suggested that Leonsis could be seeking the rights to the Nationals or Orioles to fill out his network’s local sports programming, and a potential sale of the Orioles to Rubenstein could clear the way to a deal — though no one affiliated with either man has indicated that such a deal is imminent."

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Why would Leonsis want to buy something that doesn't make any money or have any value? Really weird! 

He wants to televise the O’s, Nats, Wizards and Caps. He’ll add football programming if possible too.

Just listened to Marty Conway on 105.7 the Fan. He basically said MASN could not do straight to consumer with streaming due to current deals with a Xfinity. They are dominate cable provider and they would have wanted to be compensated. 

He brought up Leonsis as a possibility. 

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

He wants to televise the O’s, Nats, Wizards and Caps. He’ll add football programming if possible too.

IMO …The Orioles would need to hold onto the advantage over the Gnats. I think Rubenstein and his team are smart and will figure out how to maintain it.

1 hour ago, accinfo said:

Seems to me there is something else going on with MASN because why would Roch stop writing.  To me if this was the same deal all he would say is he couldn’t comment on this and continue to write his daily articles.  

Melewski just put up a blog post about the sale:

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/orioles-sale-now-confirmed-angelos-family-sells-club-to-david-m-ruberstein-other-investors

But yeah, it's weird that Roch would end his 15+ year streak on the day of some of the biggest news in Orioles history.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Strangely fitting.

This made me laugh out loud. It really is fitting.

I wonder if Roch not positing is some kind of weird tantrum. Like maybe he was told "you can't post about it yet" and he took his laptop and went home. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

This made me laugh out loud. It really is fitting.

I wonder if Roch not positing is some kind of weird tantrum. Like maybe he was told "you can't post about it yet" and he took his laptop and went home. 

Yes, he basically confirmed in the comments of his last article that he is staging a one-day strike in protest of censorship.  Fair enough - I’m sure he doesn’t want to be seen as a corporate shill (even if others sometimes perceive him that way) and this was a bridge too far.