Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

OHearn needs to be gone before OD. It never made sense to bring him back unless you can get something out of him in a trade. It’s also kinda mind boggling that such a cheap team is gonna spend 12M on 3 bench players. 

Right now, Urias and O’Hearn are starters.   Who are the 3 12M bench players?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

OHearn needs to be gone before OD. It never made sense to bring him back unless you can get something out of him in a trade. It’s also kinda mind boggling that such a cheap team is gonna spend 12M on 3 bench players. 

Players like O’Hearn, Urias, Mateo, Hilliard/Mckenna, have no trade value, but are valuable to us as role players. You don’t want prospects in part time roles. It’s also not good to thin your depth out right before a 162 game season. 

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I just don’t see the point of having Cowser and Kjerstad being on the bench. They need to be playing everyday in AAA. That way when/if we need to tap into them as starters, then they are already going with the bat. 

Either McKenna and Hilliard both make the team, or only one of them with Nevin. Maybe Norby has an outside shot. 

There isn’t much point to having them in AAA either.

Again, the Os can have a 13 man roster with those guys on it.  As long as they are playing 4 or so times a week, they will be fine.

That should be no problem with this roster.

Right now, your everyday lineup will be Mounty/OHearn, Westburg, Henderson, Mateo/Urias, Adley, Mullins, Hays and Santander.  That’s 8 spots. The 9th spot can go to Cowser or Kjerstad.

Kjerstad would likely be the guy you put in at DH because of the defensive differences but Santander will see DH time and Cowser will be there.

The playing time for all of these guys will get figured out as the season goes on…and this also assumes no more trades and no injuries.

Another key to this should be that Adley gets more actual rest. They played him way too much last year and hopefully they learned from that.

110-120 games at catchers and 20-25 games at DH. Keep him well rested.

The Os have 5 days off between OD and the end of April. 

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There isn’t much point to having them in AAA either.

Again, the Os can have a 13 man roster with those guys on it.  As long as they are playing 4 or so times a week, they will be fine.

That should be no problem with this roster.

Right now, your everyday lineup will be Mounty/OHearn, Westburg, Henderson, Mateo/Urias, Adley, Mullins, Hays and Santander.  That’s 8 spots. The 9th spot can go to Cowser or Kjerstad.

Kjerstad would likely be the guy you put in at DH because of the defensive differences but Santander will see DH time and Cowser will be there.

The playing time for all of these guys will get figured out as the season goes on…and this also assumes no more trades and no injuries.

Another key to this should be that Adley gets more actual rest. They played him way too much last year and hopefully they learned from that.

110-120 games at catchers and 20-25 games at DH. Keep him well rested.

The Os have 5 days off between OD and the end of April. 

That’s not really 8 spots.  No way Mountcastle starts the season off as the short side of the 1B platoon.  He’ll be getting everyday AB’s and O’Hearn will get most of his AB at DH, if he’s still here.   Once Mountcastle started hitting he started almost every game last August.

On 2/2/2024 at 10:46 AM, Tony-OH said:

I know you are a bit of an Angelos family apologist, but come on now, that's not a high bar to get over when it comes to his father running things. 

JA has done one thing right and that was hiring Elias. Now that's a major thing and worthy of getting props for, but his sliminess overall just hurts even that accomplishment.

Its not a high bar - but its one that most ownership groups do not even attempt to cross. Give credit where credit is due is all Im saying. 

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I know some on here don’t like stuff+ but I wonder if Elias puts anything into it?

I know I’ve made some remarks about stuff+ but that doesn’t mean I think it’s valueless.  I just don’t see stuff as the only factor that determines how good a pitcher is or can be.   All three of these guys are potential studs and stuff is a big reason why, but not the only one.  

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I know some on here don’t like stuff+ but I wonder if Elias puts anything into it?

I think teams that care about pitch modeling to capture “stuff” have their own proprietary versions with more inputs than what go into Stuff+, and I think the Orioles are one of those teams. They may not boil them down into a single number like Stuff+ but the Orioles definitely look at similar metrics. 

The Orioles pitchers were 3rd overall in Stuff+ last year (behind, not surprisingly, HOU and TB). 3rd for SP and 4th for RP. It’s not a coincidence.  

All of the waiver claim type RPs they’ve churned through in recent years ALWAYS have good Stuff+. López, Coulombe, Perez, Fuji, Baker, Webb…even guys like Reed Garrett and Eduardo Bazardo. 

So I don’t think the Orioles are using Stuff+ per se but I think they use something proprietary that is similar and they care about it a lot. And the other analytics heavy teams do too. 

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That he won an auction for Shintaro Fujinami, and before a deadline, is an action that speaks loud to me on that one.

In the first half of 2023 among 231 relievers covering 20 innings, Fujinami was about 10th percentile in ERA, ~50th percentile in Stuff+, and ~95th percentile in fastball velocity.     David Stearns' project now.

15 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Corbin worked a Zach Davies name drop into his introductory presser now uploaded on MASN.

It was notable hearing him describe analytics support staff depth behind the pitching coach.   I think it is an Elias/Sig perk to get a year of input from the Stearns Milwaukee pitching lab's highest achiever.     We want 200 Cy caliber innings, but also please....tell us what your process has been like these last 4 years.

Thank you for sharing this. Corbin Burnes is an absolute professional. He's very business like in his approach. I can't help but respect that.

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

Thank you for sharing this. Corbin Burnes is an absolute professional. He's very business like in his approach. I can't help but respect that.

I also respect his honesty in being up front about his likely desire to test free agency. At least you know where the man stands.