MASN off of Comcast?

Sports Guy

51 minutes ago, Aglets said:

The Rockies also recently announced a streaming option like this.

MLB launches Colorado Rockies local DTC streaming service - SportsPro (sportspromedia.com)

Maybe it's just an NL West thing?   sigh

For the Rox here, it was their only shot — Comcast in Denver has been done with RSNs, the Nuggets and Avalanche haven’t been on cable for over 3-years, and those teams actually won titles sans local fans being able to find the games, unless they had DirecTV (although Fubo recently added them this year).

As an out of market O’s fanatic, MLB.TV has been well worth it for me since they launched it, getting to see the entire MASN schedule every year. If I understand the current deal correctly, as an MLB.TV subscriber, I need only pay half of the $99.99 that Rockies fans pay for Rockies only.

If I was back home in Maryland, I personally would be fine to pay 100 bucks a year to stream O’s games, if MASN has to jump to the streaming model. Although, I wonder if local Baltimore TV would pick up a number of games?

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Ok, the precedent has been set. Can someone please explain to me why the Orioles/MASN aren't able to offer something similar? For context, the typical MLB package price is $149.99. So they're basically charging an extra $50 to watch the blacked out local games plus everything else OR $100 just to watch the local games. 

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/subscribe/dbacks

I will give you my theory for why the DBacks can do this and the Orioles can’t.  The DBacks don’t have a contract with any cable companies, and their RSN contract was abrogated by Diamond Sports in the bankruptcy.  Therefore, the DBacks are free to sell their TV rights however they please.   However, the O’s TV rights are owned by MASN, and MASN has contracts with Xfinity and other cable companies.   Those contracts probably say that MASN can’t offer streaming to people in those cable service areas who don’t subscribe to the cable service.   I mean, if I was a cable company, I’d certainly want that in my contract in order to limit cord-cutting or competition from other carriers.  And the fact that no team has offered stand-alone streaming until now tells me that those clauses must exist.  

It is such a money grab from all directions that I want to drop all the services as a F$&& you to the whole process.

That said, I did enjoy streaming MASN games on my phone while traveling and visiting family throughout the 2023 season!

Great news - cut the cord and I would think an option of buying a package to view the games will then be on the table. Each team should really have their own app that allows you to just view that team's games. I am out of state and have the MLB package. It's much better than paying ridiculous fees for Comcast all year. I will be paying $95 for the MLB package in a week or so. That gives me access to all of the teams, which I don't really use until the end of the season during a pennant race. 

3 minutes ago, Master Guns said:

Northern VA. MASN territory. Use VPN to get around the blackouts. 

Im also in NOVA and looking for a VPN that works around here. I tried Nord last year but it was sporadic at best. Any recommendations?

DirectTV is great for having MASN. No big disputes or problems like Comcast. And if you cut the cord, you still have to pay for umpteen different streaming services so by the time you're done subscribing you've just as much money on the streaming services than you would have if you had just had the regular TV deal that included MASN and all your traditional local channels to watch live sports and local news.